Gay Enron exec pleads guilty
BY Advocate.com Editors
August 22 2002 12:00 AM ET
An openly gay former top executive in Enron Corp.'s finance division pleaded guilty Wednesday to money laundering and wire fraud. He is the first to admit guilt in the aftermath of the former energy behemoth's implosion last year.
Michael Kopper, 37, was managing director of Enron Global Finance under former chief financial officer Andrew Fastow. Kopper quit the company months before its collapse. He had run an illegal Enron subsidiary, Chewco, and later turned it over to his domestic partner, William D. Dodson, to avoid the scrutiny of federal regulators. Chewco was one of several partnerships created by Fastow that have been credited with leading to the company's failure.
As part of his agreement to cooperate with the government, Kopper agreed to surrender $12 million in illegally obtained assets. Kopper alleged that his activities were conducted under the direction of Fastow and in some cases in concert with Fastow. He said that in at least two of the transactions, he had kicked back money to Fastow.
U.S. district court judge Ewing Werlein Jr. set bond for Kopper at $5 million.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The Miseducation of Destin Holmes
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Gun Advocate Uses Gays To Make His Point 1 hour 56 min ago
- Music EXCLUSIVE: Audra McDonald's 'Some Days' 8:56 AM
- Travel A Handy, Color-Coded Map to Gay Europe 8:43 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 4:40 AM
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 4:00 AM
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM