Poll: Most Miami-Dade voters favor antidiscrimination law
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 04 2002 11:00 PM ET
Miami-Dade County, Fla., voters are likely to reject a measure on next week's ballot that would repeal the county's ordinance banning discrimination against gays, a new survey shows. The poll of 600 likely voters, conducted for The Miami Herald and WTVJ-TV, found that 54% said they will vote against the repeal, while 34% said they will vote for it. Twelve percent were undecided as Tuesday's primary approaches.
The measure would repeal a 1998 amendment to the county's civil rights ordinance that bans discrimination based on sexual orientation in housing, employment, lending, and public accommodations. The repeal effort is backed by Take Back Miami-Dade, a coalition of conservative Christian groups.
"If I were a betting man, I would bet it fails," pollster Rob Schroth said.
Heddy Pena, spokeswoman for the anti-repeal group No to Discrimination/SAVE Dade, called the poll results encouraging. "We're pleased the poll shows us ahead, but it's still critical that everyone come out to vote," she said.
The six-day telephone poll was conducted through Monday by Washington, D.C.-based Schroth and Associates and was published in the Herald on Wednesday.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Rep. Polis's Epic Blowup on House Floor Over Immigration
- Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Colo. Baker Who Refused Gay Wedding Cake Appears In Court
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- Women WATCH: Nurse: 3D is the Epic Lesbian Exploitation Hospital Thriller of the Year! 11 min 52 sec ago
- No More Bullying WATCH: New 'It Gets Better' Campaign Speaks to Russian LGBT Youth 32 min 48 sec ago
- World News LGBT Rights Are 'Essential Part' of U.S. Foreign Policy, Says Susan Rice 50 min 20 sec ago
- Marriage Equality Judge Expected to Rule on Utah Marriage Ban Early Next Year 1 hour 5 min ago
- Transgender Are Federal Contractors Allowed to Discriminate Against Trans People? 1 hour 16 min ago
- HIV & AIDS Nelson Mandela, HIV Advocate and Humanitarian, Dies at 95 1 hour 34 min ago
- Books Morrisey's Gay Relationship Scrubbed From U.S. Edition of Autobiography 1 hour 51 min ago