Episcopal priest may be defrocked for antigay views
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 05 2002 11:00 PM ET
An Episcopal priest in a dispute with his diocese over the denomination's acceptance of gay people and women as priests appeared determined Wednesday not to retract statements and actions that threaten to result in his removal from the priesthood.
Bishop Charles E. Bennison, who heads the diocese of Pennsylvania, said on the last day of Father David Moyer's six-month suspension that the priest would be deposed Thursday if he didn't send the bishop a written retraction. Moyer, pastor of the Church of the Good Shepherd in the Philadelphia suburb of Rosemont, is the North American president of the conservative Forward in Faith movement, which says the Episcopal Church has become too liberal on issues such as tolerance of homosexuality and the ordination of women.
"There will be no retraction from Father Moyer," said John H. Lewis Jr., a parishioner and an attorney representing Moyer in a civil lawsuit alleging that his suspension by the diocese is a breach of contract. "What we are waiting to see is whether Bennison will go forward or not."
"If there is no response, I am required to depose him," Bennison said. The bishop said that if he does depose Bennison, it will be done Thursday in the presence of two other priests.
The Church of the Good Shepherd is among a number of congregations that have become embroiled in a schism between the Episcopal Church and traditionalists who say the church has moved too far from the teachings of its parent church, the 77-million member Anglican Communion.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- WATCH: The Best of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- Queen Latifah Tells Us About Her New Talk Show
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Holiday Gifts for Everyone 15 Gifts to Keep You Gorgeous 39 min 14 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Differences Don't Make Families Inferior 1 hour 38 min ago
- Parenting Nonprofit Serves Up Resource to Answer LGBT Parents' Questions 1 hour 39 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM