Jerusalem gays lead "kissing" protest
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 09 2002 11:00 PM ET
A bitter dispute erupted last week in Jerusalem between police and local gays and lesbians, culminating in a same-sex "kissing protest" Thursday night outside Jerusalem police headquarters, reports The Jerusalem Post.
The dispute began September 1, when a passerby spotted two male teenagers near the Old City's Jaffa Gate in a "most intimate situation," according to a summation of events given by Jerusalem police spokesman Shmuel Ben-Ruby. The civilian notified a police patrol, which found the two "with their pants down committing oral sex," Ben-Ruby said, based on officers' testimony.
The two teenagers, 18 and 16, told the officers they were "just kissing each other" and resisted arrest. A backup patrol was called, and the two were forcibly handcuffed and detained. For the next four hours, they were interrogated in the Russian Compound. According to Jerry Levinson, head of Open House, the gay and lesbian community center in Jerusalem, police officers verbally abused them, mocking them because of their sexual orientation.
The two were released, but the 18-year-old returned to the station the next day with his father, the police spokesman said, in order to complete his investigation. The teen asserted that he had been abused by the officers, and police recommended that he file a complaint. The teenager and his father were disinclined to do so, Ben-Ruby said, and so police did so for them.
Thursday night's same-sex kissing protest by some two dozen demonstrators was in response to the "detention and torture" of gay men and lesbians kissing in the street, Levinson said. Ben-Ruby said the police welcomed the demonstration "with open arms."
- Film Kidnapped for Christ to Premiere at Slamdance 18 min 39 sec ago
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Separate or Together? 1 hour 17 min ago
- Day in LGBT America PHOTOS: Just Another Day at Work in LGBT America 1 hour 18 min ago
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: We Asked The Stars, Who Is Your Hero? 1 hour 48 min ago
- Music WATCH: The Best (and Not So Best) of LGBT Chorus Holiday Music 5:00 AM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM