Quebec backs same-sex marriage
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 10 2002 12:00 AM ET
A Quebec superior court judge on Friday ruled that the federal prohibition of same-sex marriage is unconstitutional, according to The Toronto Star.
Justice Louise Lemelin echoed an Ontario court ruling in July that said the Ontario government is required to register gay and lesbian marriages. The Ontario superior court suspended that ruling for two years to give the federal government time to redefine the term marriage. "The court has...sent the message loud and clear to Parliament: Stop discriminating against same-sex couples and respect the Constitution," said John Fisher of the gay rights group Egale Canada in a statement. "We call on Parliament to act now in accordance with the court's decision and allow same-sex couples to marry. How long must Canadians in same-sex relationships wait for equality?"
The case began with two men who have been seeking the right to marry since 1998. Michael Hendricks and Rene LeBoeuf, who have been together since 1973, first applied for a marriage license in 1998 and had been battling the federal and Quebec governments in provincial court until their victory Friday. "Requiring couples to be heterosexual to enter into marriage cannot be imposed by a legislature because it is a fundamental right," wrote Lemelin. The distinction based on sex "undermines human dignity and denies the applicants' equality rights under section 15 of the Charter," she added.
This summer, while their legal action was continuing, a law allowing same-sex civil unions went into effect in Quebec, but the couple rejected this option.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 3 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM