Hate crimes jump 11% in L.A. County
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 11 2002 12:00 AM ET
Following the September 11 terrorist attacks, Los Angeles County experienced an 11% surge in suspected hate crimes compared with figures for 2000, the county human relations commission reported Monday. The increase was the highest in 21 years of record-keeping by the commission.
The biggest increase in attacks occurred against Middle Eastern people and people perceived to be Muslim, but the commission also found an increase in incidents apparently motivated by sexual orientation. A total of 238 hate crimes were reported against gays, lesbians, and transsexuals in 2001, a 9% increase over 2000, the commission said.
Roger Coggan of the Los Angeles Gay and Lesbian Center said he could not determine whether the numbers represent a significant rise or more intense reporting by victims. But he acknowledged that the viciousness of the incidents has increased, as seen in the beating of two gay men with a baseball bat last week in West Hollywood, which left actor Trev Broudy, 33, critically wounded.
"It's a cause of great concern," said Coggan, the group's legal services director. "We need to create the climate that voices of hate are seen as totally unacceptable, and we need to make the connection that when people preach intolerance...that it's only a matter of time it's translated in a hate crime and a terrorist act."
Meanwhile, a $60,000 reward is now being offered for information leading to the arrest and conviction of two suspects involved in the brutal hate crime attacks that occurred against Broudy and another man.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Blood Ban on Gay Men — But There's a Catch
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Giants Pitcher Jeremy Affeldt Shares His Evolution on Homophobia 23 min 6 sec ago
- Youth Disney Exec Named Head of GLSEN Board 1 hour 19 min ago
- Transgender Transgender High School Senior Skips His Graduation 1 hour 19 min ago
- Books Q&A Quickie: Justin Hernandez, from Gay Stripper to Naked Author 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women Todd Haynes To Direct Blanchett/Wasikowska in Patricia Highsmith Lesbian Potboiler 1 hour 39 min ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 2 hours 7 min ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 2 hours 28 min ago