Miami-Dade repeal supporters say they'll try again
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
Leaders of No to Discrimination/SAVE Dade, the Miami-Dade County, Fla., group leading the fight against the September 10 ballot measure to repeal a county ordinance protecting gays from discrimination, claimed victory Wednesday, with election results available from all but a few precincts, according to The Miami Herald.
Gay rights supporters also took satisfaction in the win, even though the margin of victory was less than they had hoped--and substantially lower than a Herald/NBC 6 poll last week predicted. "Six points is still six points--it's not chump change in a county this size," said Jorge Mursuli, one of No to Discrimination's organizers.
Meanwhile, supporters of the repeal vowed to mount a petition drive to try again. Take Back Miami-Dade cochairman Nathaniel Wilcox called the election a "travesty" and said the group intends to redouble its efforts. "Whatever happens, if push comes to shove, we are going to start gathering signatures again," Wilcox said.
The group forced the vote with a late 2000 petition drive that, while successful, triggered a criminal inquiry that recently led to the arrest of four group members on fraud charges.
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Artist Spotlight: Taylor Smith
- Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play
- Current Issue The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd 30 min 22 sec ago
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books March 09 2014 4:46 PM
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah March 09 2014 3:09 PM
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions March 09 2014 3:04 PM
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open March 09 2014 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play March 09 2014 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' March 09 2014 11:50 AM