Miami-Dade repeal supporters say they'll try again
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 13 2002 12:00 AM ET
Leaders of No to Discrimination/SAVE Dade, the Miami-Dade County, Fla., group leading the fight against the September 10 ballot measure to repeal a county ordinance protecting gays from discrimination, claimed victory Wednesday, with election results available from all but a few precincts, according to The Miami Herald.
Gay rights supporters also took satisfaction in the win, even though the margin of victory was less than they had hoped--and substantially lower than a Herald/NBC 6 poll last week predicted. "Six points is still six points--it's not chump change in a county this size," said Jorge Mursuli, one of No to Discrimination's organizers.
Meanwhile, supporters of the repeal vowed to mount a petition drive to try again. Take Back Miami-Dade cochairman Nathaniel Wilcox called the election a "travesty" and said the group intends to redouble its efforts. "Whatever happens, if push comes to shove, we are going to start gathering signatures again," Wilcox said.
The group forced the vote with a late 2000 petition drive that, while successful, triggered a criminal inquiry that recently led to the arrest of four group members on fraud charges.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: Religion Shouldn't Be an Excuse for Discrimination 59 min 21 sec ago
- Current Issue The Miseducation of Destin Holmes 1 hour 39 min ago
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM