Lesbian in custody battle must return son to Nebraska
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 21 2002 12:00 AM ET
A boy who is the subject of a custody battle between lesbian former partners must be returned to Nebraska by next month, a Douglas County, Neb., judge has ruled.
The boy has lived in Michigan with Joan Bridgens since a Douglas County court ruled last summer that the joint adoption of him by Bridgens and her former partner, Serenna Russell, was invalid. In June the Nebraska supreme court overturned that ruling and sent the case back to the lower court for further consideration.
District court judge Joseph Troia ruled Tuesday that the boy must come back to Nebraska, where the two women will share alternating weeks of parental rights beginning October 1.
Bridgens adopted the baby boy in 1996. A year later, Russell and Bridgens jointly adopted the boy while living in Pennsylvania. After the couple split, Russell asked the lower court to recognize the joint adoption so that she could gain legal custody of the boy and petition Bridgens for child support.
No Nebraska court has ruled whether a gay couple can adopt a child. However, Troia initially rejected Russell's request, saying the state of Pennsylvania lacked jurisdiction to recognize the adoption as valid.
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 10 min 38 sec ago
- Women SheWired Shot of the Day: Chloe Sevigny Absolut-ly Sizzles for Elyxr 35 min 32 sec ago
- Crime Arrest Made in Latest Antigay Attack in NYC 46 min 15 sec ago
- Youth Anonymous Boy Scouts Employee Says Antigay Policy Hurts Business 50 min 52 sec ago
- Youth Harvey Milk Day Has Group Worried About 'Indoctrinating' Kids 1 hour 6 min ago
- Theater See Which Hunk Won the 2013 Broadway Beauty Pageant 1 hour 10 min ago
- Politicians Harvey Milk Day: First Park in Nation Named for Rights Pioneer 1 hour 23 min ago