BY Advocate.com Editors
September 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
Reported break in Martha Stewart case
Gay assistant to testify against Stewart
A Merrill Lynch & Co. assistant reportedly has agreed to plead guilty and testify against Martha Stewart in the ImClone stock sales scandal.
Shares of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc. fell in early trading Thursday after a published report said a gay assistant at Merrill Lynch & Co. has agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor and testify against Martha Stewart and others in the federal investigation of stock sales in ImClone Systems last year. The Wall Street Journal said in Thursday's editions that prosecutors had sought to charge the assistant, Douglas Faneuil, with a felony for making false statements to investigators but later agreed to a misdemeanor in exchange for his cooperation. The newspaper cited people familiar with the discussions. The charge is expected to be filed within days. Shares of Martha Stewart Living were down 7.7%, or 60 cents a share, at $7.20 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
Through his lawyer, Faneuil, who is reported to be dating W editor Rob Haskell, declined to comment, as did the U.S. attorney's office in New York. A spokesperson for Stewart also declined to comment Thursday, but in the past she has denied wrongdoing.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- Transgender High School Senior Skips Graduation Over School's Transphobic Policy
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth
- Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality
- Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process to Remain Relevant
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Books New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families 2 hours 30 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Boy Scouts Must Complete the Inclusion Process 7:32 PM
- Sports Gay Athletes Hop Aboard the Condom Mobile 7:15 PM
- Crime Questions Over Police Response to Murder of N.Y. Gay Man Still Unanswered 7:02 PM
- Marriage Equality Nevada Takes Another Step Toward Marriage Equality 6:41 PM
- Youth Boy Scouts Vote to End Discrimination Against Gay Youth 6:22 PM
- Theater WATCH: How Billy Porter Becomes Kinky Boots Drag Diva 6:15 PM