BY Advocate.com Editors
September 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
Reported break in Martha Stewart case
Gay assistant to testify against Stewart
A Merrill Lynch & Co. assistant reportedly has agreed to plead guilty and testify against Martha Stewart in the ImClone stock sales scandal.
Shares of Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia Inc. fell in early trading Thursday after a published report said a gay assistant at Merrill Lynch & Co. has agreed to plead guilty to a misdemeanor and testify against Martha Stewart and others in the federal investigation of stock sales in ImClone Systems last year. The Wall Street Journal said in Thursday's editions that prosecutors had sought to charge the assistant, Douglas Faneuil, with a felony for making false statements to investigators but later agreed to a misdemeanor in exchange for his cooperation. The newspaper cited people familiar with the discussions. The charge is expected to be filed within days. Shares of Martha Stewart Living were down 7.7%, or 60 cents a share, at $7.20 in midday trading on the New York Stock Exchange.
Through his lawyer, Faneuil, who is reported to be dating W editor Rob Haskell, declined to comment, as did the U.S. attorney's office in New York. A spokesperson for Stewart also declined to comment Thursday, but in the past she has denied wrongdoing.
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia
- Looking Back: Where Things Stand Heading Into Season 2
- The A-List Interview: Chris O'Dowd
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Parenting Ubbas: The Golden Shower Toy 20 min 12 sec ago
- Russia WATCH: Moscow LGBT Demonstrators Attacked 22 min 43 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Lost Girl's Zoie Palmer Thanks Female Partner at Canadian Film Awards 35 min 17 sec ago
- Music Pet Shop Boys Remix Irish Drag Queen's Powerful Speech Against Homophobia 39 min 4 sec ago
- Religion Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues 40 min 58 sec ago
- Theater PHOTOS: Terrence McNally's Mothers and Sons 1 hour 27 min ago
- Religion Pope Francis: One Year In, Door Slightly Ajar for LGBTs 1 hour 42 min ago