Gay students beaten up at VCU
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
Two men have been arrested on charges that they assaulted students who attended a gay student association meeting at Virginia Commonwealth University. "What we've been told is that these people don't like individuals who engage in alternative lifestyles, and that's what prompted the whole thing," VCU police chief William B. Fuller said. "As far as I'm concerned, this was a hate crime."
Joye Abbott suffered a black eye and broken nose from repeated punches on September 18. Andy Roberts, 19, of Brooklyn, N.Y., has been charged with felony assault. Alain Jean-Baptiste, 18, of Richmond, has been charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly hitting Abbott and Kristopher Gaines, 20.
"I got away OK, better than others, without any visible injuries," Gaines said Thursday.
Fuller said there probably are other suspects, but no one has identified them. Similarly, there probably are more victims, he said, but none has come forward. Fuller has contacted state police and the FBI, both of which track hate crimes. He called the attacks "an isolated incident."
- Judge Rules Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Keep Living in Sewers
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- Right-Wingers Call Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Film
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- WATCH: Chelsea Handler Skewers Piers Morgan as a 'Terrible Interviewer'
- WATCH: 20 Strangers Kiss for the First Time
- Religion Op-Ed: Pope's Legacy Will Be That He's Willing to Listen 1 hour 8 min ago
- Women WATCH: Isn't Beyoncé 'Bossy' - She's 'The BOSS' in New PSA to Empower Girls March 12 2014 8:04 PM
- World Explore Iran's Gay Underground Railroad March 12 2014 7:29 PM
- Film Is Frozen a Gay Indoctrination Manifesto? March 12 2014 7:25 PM
- Women WATCH: Is There Anyone a Pansexual Won't Date? March 12 2014 7:18 PM
- Politics Black Lesbian Nominated as Federal Judge Sails Through Hearing March 12 2014 7:10 PM
- Jamaica Judge: Homeless Jamaican LGBT Youth Can Live in Sewers March 12 2014 7:08 PM