Gay students beaten up at VCU
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 27 2002 11:00 PM ET
Two men have been arrested on charges that they assaulted students who attended a gay student association meeting at Virginia Commonwealth University. "What we've been told is that these people don't like individuals who engage in alternative lifestyles, and that's what prompted the whole thing," VCU police chief William B. Fuller said. "As far as I'm concerned, this was a hate crime."
Joye Abbott suffered a black eye and broken nose from repeated punches on September 18. Andy Roberts, 19, of Brooklyn, N.Y., has been charged with felony assault. Alain Jean-Baptiste, 18, of Richmond, has been charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly hitting Abbott and Kristopher Gaines, 20.
"I got away OK, better than others, without any visible injuries," Gaines said Thursday.
Fuller said there probably are other suspects, but no one has identified them. Similarly, there probably are more victims, he said, but none has come forward. Fuller has contacted state police and the FBI, both of which track hate crimes. He called the attacks "an isolated incident."
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny
- New Mexico Supreme Court Declares Statewide Marriage Equality
- Figure Skater Brian Boitano Comes Out
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- WATCH: Sexy Santas Want You to 'Get Enrolled' in Obamacare
- Entertainment News Reality Star Marksman Chris Cheng Comes Out 31 min 14 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Award Winner: Best Hotel Chain 34 min 19 sec ago
- People Bobby Jindal Is Mad No One Thought Phil Robertson Was Funny 49 min 18 sec ago
- Women The Incredibly True Adventures of 2 Lesbian Penguins in Love in Israel 53 min 40 sec ago
- Women Op-ed: Silencing a #SharedGirlHood on Social Media 3:20 PM
- Politics Putin's Top Priority: 'Equal Terms' for Olympic Athletes 3:15 PM
- Travel Wanna Go to the SAG Awards in L.A.? 3:11 PM