Gay students beaten up at VCU
BY Advocate.com Editors
September 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
Two men have been arrested on charges that they assaulted students who attended a gay student association meeting at Virginia Commonwealth University. "What we've been told is that these people don't like individuals who engage in alternative lifestyles, and that's what prompted the whole thing," VCU police chief William B. Fuller said. "As far as I'm concerned, this was a hate crime."
Joye Abbott suffered a black eye and broken nose from repeated punches on September 18. Andy Roberts, 19, of Brooklyn, N.Y., has been charged with felony assault. Alain Jean-Baptiste, 18, of Richmond, has been charged with misdemeanor assault for allegedly hitting Abbott and Kristopher Gaines, 20.
"I got away OK, better than others, without any visible injuries," Gaines said Thursday.
Fuller said there probably are other suspects, but no one has identified them. Similarly, there probably are more victims, he said, but none has come forward. Fuller has contacted state police and the FBI, both of which track hate crimes. He called the attacks "an isolated incident."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Richard Renaldi Hotel Room Portraits
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship May 22 2013 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy May 22 2013 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall May 22 2013 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality May 22 2013 6:09 PM