Archbishop asked to renounce gay support
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
A band of prominent evangelicals in the Church of England has demanded that Archbishop Rowan Williams either recant his liberal views on homosexuality or resign as the next archbishop of Canterbury even before he takes the post, according to the Los Angeles Times.
Williams, the archbishop of Wales who is scheduled to succeed George Carey in the Canterbury archbishopric, is in hot water with church conservatives over his perceived support for gays, including his admission that he has ordained a practicing homosexual. Reform, a 1,500-strong conservative evangelical network, issued a statement saying Williams should either affirm publicly the Anglican Church's traditional teaching that all sex outside marriage is sinful or step back from the Canterbury post.
The Reverend Richard Kirker, general secretary of the United Kingdom's Lesbian and Gay Christian Movement, denounced Reform's action: "The presumptuous, self-righteous tone...will, I suspect, make them even more isolated than they already are in the Anglican Church."
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 37 min 27 sec ago
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 1 hour 49 min ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM