Boston Globe to publish gay commitment notices
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Boston Globe plans to publish announcements of same-sex commitment ceremonies and civil unions, the newspaper announced in Sunday's editions. "This is community news, and it fits into that rubric," said Globe editor Martin Baron, adding that the newspaper already includes same-sex partners in its obituaries and features same-sex unions in its daily coverage.
The announcements are expected to begin running in the next few weeks. They will be located in a Sunday "Special Occasions" page that will include weddings, engagements, and anniversaries and will appear under a "Commitments" heading. In order to be eligible for coverage, same-sex partners must celebrate their commitment in an officiated ceremony or register their civil union or domestic partnership if they are in a jurisdiction that accepts them.
The Globe's decision follows a recent move by The New York Times, which owns the Globe, to run announcements of gay and lesbian unions. The Los Angeles Times, The Arizona Republic, The Charlotte Observer, and The Cincinnati Enquirer are among 139 newspapers nationwide that publish notices of same-sex unions or intend to, according to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
"We are thrilled that the Globe has decided to include their gay and lesbian readers equally in all sections of the paper," said GLAAD regional media director Glennda Testone. "We are grateful to the gay and lesbian community of Boston for beginning this discussion by expressing a need, and we hope they will follow through and submit their unions to the Globe."
- Anne Rice Announces New Vampire Chronicles Novel
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- WATCH: Gay Man's Grandfather Came Out to Him at 90 Years Old
- South Carolina Soccer Team Signs Gay Player Anton Hysén
- Op-ed: In Boston, an Ugly St. Patrick's Day Tradition Continues
- Media Former Fox Sportscaster Claims Anti-Antigay Discrimination March 10 2014 9:37 PM
- Women Lorde Takes Down Idiot DJ Who Implies She and Taylor Swift Are Lesbians March 10 2014 9:01 PM
- Women WATCH: Trailer for New Lesbian-Themed Series #Hashtag March 10 2014 7:54 PM
- Travel Sydney Mardi Gras: A Post-Mortem March 10 2014 7:47 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Marriage Equality Is an 'Extra Right,' Says Right-Wing Activist March 10 2014 7:44 PM
- Women Laurel Holloman Joins L Word Costars Leisha Hailey and Kate Moennig at Dinah! March 10 2014 6:22 PM
- Politics Lesbian Couple Sues Neighbors for Bias March 10 2014 6:08 PM