Boston Globe to publish gay commitment notices
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Boston Globe plans to publish announcements of same-sex commitment ceremonies and civil unions, the newspaper announced in Sunday's editions. "This is community news, and it fits into that rubric," said Globe editor Martin Baron, adding that the newspaper already includes same-sex partners in its obituaries and features same-sex unions in its daily coverage.
The announcements are expected to begin running in the next few weeks. They will be located in a Sunday "Special Occasions" page that will include weddings, engagements, and anniversaries and will appear under a "Commitments" heading. In order to be eligible for coverage, same-sex partners must celebrate their commitment in an officiated ceremony or register their civil union or domestic partnership if they are in a jurisdiction that accepts them.
The Globe's decision follows a recent move by The New York Times, which owns the Globe, to run announcements of gay and lesbian unions. The Los Angeles Times, The Arizona Republic, The Charlotte Observer, and The Cincinnati Enquirer are among 139 newspapers nationwide that publish notices of same-sex unions or intend to, according to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
"We are thrilled that the Globe has decided to include their gay and lesbian readers equally in all sections of the paper," said GLAAD regional media director Glennda Testone. "We are grateful to the gay and lesbian community of Boston for beginning this discussion by expressing a need, and we hope they will follow through and submit their unions to the Globe."
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Robbie Rogers to Become First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- WATCH: It Already Got Better for This Colorado Student
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 54 min 34 sec ago
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 54 min 42 sec ago
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 2 hours 32 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Ex-Girlfriend's Parents Speak 2 hours 35 min ago
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM
- Sports Robbie Rogers Returns as First Openly Gay Footballer 11:56 AM