Long Island teacher sues school for bias
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 01 2002 11:00 PM ET
A high school teacher has filed a lawsuit against the Long Island, N.Y., district where she works, claiming she was treated unfairly because she is a lesbian. Joan Lovell, an art teacher at Comsewogue High School, said in her complaint that three students falsely accused her of sexual harassment but were never punished. Lovell, 52, charged that three ninth-grade girls who were in danger of failing the class had accused her in February of making sexual advances toward them.
According to court documents, the principal, Joseph Rella, told the students' parents about the allegations but delayed telling Lovell, violating school policy.
Richard Brande, superintendent of Comsewogue schools, said the school investigated the incident and exonerated Lovell but took no action against the students. "You don't want to discourage students from bringing complaints about being harassed by teachers or their peers," he said, according to the Tuesday edition of Newsday.
Lovell, who has worked for the district 28 years, said school administrators failed to look into her claims that students were harassing her by using antigay slurs and whispering about her in school hallways. The three students were transferred out of her class but were never punished, she said.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- PHOTOS: 6 Couples Australia's High Court Says Aren't Married Anymore
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Marriage Equality Australia's High Court Says These Couples Aren't Married December 11 2013 8:37 PM
- Women Meet Gender Scientist Anne Fausto-Sterling December 11 2013 7:42 PM
- Women WATCH: Michelle Chamuel Returns to The Voice with 'Go Down Singing' December 11 2013 7:10 PM
- Politics Mich. Governor Condemns RNC Member's Latest Antigay Remark December 11 2013 7:01 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Right Wing Swoons Over Antigay Baker December 11 2013 6:45 PM
- Travel What Airline Scored 100% on HRC's Corporate Equality Index? December 11 2013 6:44 PM
- Entertainment News The Queer Quotient at the SAG Awards December 11 2013 6:03 PM