Suspects arrested in WeHo bashings
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 12:00 AM ET
Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies arrested two men Tuesday in connection with the beating of openly gay actor Trev Broudy and a friend in West Hollywood, Calif., in early September. According to a press release issued Wednesday by the West Hollywood Sheriff Station, detectives arrested Larry Walker, 26, and Vincent Dotsun, 18, on charges of assault with a deadly weapon, attempted robbery, and the commission of a hate crime. They are both awaiting arraignment and being held on $130,000 bail.
According to police, the third suspect in the assault has yet to be charged but is also in custody. He was arrested the morning after the September 1 attack by Los Angeles sheriff's deputies on unrelated charges of suspicion of robbery and vehicle theft.
Los Angeles County sheriff's captain Linda Castro added that investigators are also looking into whether the assailants were involved in an assault just hours after Broudy was attacked on September 1 and an attack on another West Hollywood gay man September 22. "This is what we've all been waiting for the entire month of September," she said. "This has been a month from hell."
All three suspects had been arrested the night of the first attack on suspicion of robbery and car theft, Castro told the Los Angeles Times. Although deputies then suspected they might be linked to the attack, there wasn't enough evidence to hold them for that crime, she said. A tip, however, led to their rearrests Tuesday.
Broudy's friend Craig DeSilva told the Times that upon hearing of the arrests Tuesday night, Broudy, who is still in the hospital recovering from his injuries, "had a real kaleidoscope of emotions going on. I think that he was grateful." DeSilva added that Broudy is "doing much better, talking again, but still has memory problems."
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
- Republican Wants Right to Fire LGBT Employees Who 'Work in a Tutu'
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 13 min 54 sec ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other 2 hours 2 min ago
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem 2 hours 38 min ago
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs 2 hours 40 min ago
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail 6:20 PM
- Politicians President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech 4:59 PM