Swiss bishops support legal gay partnerships
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 03 2002 11:00 PM ET
Switzerland's Catholic bishops said Thursday that while they would still refuse to bless gay weddings in church, they accept that legal partnership registration for same-sex couples has merits, according to Agence France-Presse. The Swiss regions of Geneva and Zurich have introduced laws allowing same-sex partnerships, paving the way for a nationwide vote on the subject in the future.
The conference of Swiss bishops said in a statement that it is not opposed to the registration of same-sex partnerships--as long as such ceremonies are not conducted to resemble marriage services--because formalizing the couple would "do away with discrimination over inheritance and in other areas." The conference added, however, that "the unique nature of a marriage between a man and a woman must have unconditional protection. Society cannot tamper with it without endangering itself."
The bishops also said being gay should not exclude a man from becoming a priest as long as he abstains from sex. "A predisposition toward homosexuality does not preclude anyone from becoming a minister of the Church," the statement said, and "can even give them a particular charisma. "
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under 27 min 1 sec ago
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality 28 min 26 sec ago
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations 2 hours 28 min ago
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM