Trev Broudy grants first interview since WeHo attack

BY Advocate.com Editors

October 11 2002 12:00 AM ET

In his first interview since a brutal attack last month, a West Hollywood, Calif., man told the Santa Barbara [Calif.] News-Press that he was targeted because he is gay. Trev Broudy, 34, planned to return to his home in Santa Barbara on Thursday, leaving a Los Angeles hospital where he was recovering from the September 1 attack. "I'm doing all right," said Broudy, who just three weeks ago was in a coma in the hospital's intensive care unit. He said he is angered over the decision by the Los Angeles County district attorney's office not to charge the three alleged attackers with a hate crime. The attackers beat Broudy numerous times with a wooden bat and left him near dead, right after Broudy had embraced a male friend outside his apartment, police said.

Broudy said the only motivation he can see for the attack is his sexual orientation, adding that he doesn't remember much of the attack and that it's difficult for him to remember many of the details leading up to it. "It's very difficult for me to speak," Broudy said. "There's, like, different parts of my brain that aren't working." Authorities said Broudy was attacked from behind in an assault that was similar to three others involving four victims--all in a town known for its acceptance of gays.

Three south Los Angeles men have pleaded innocent to two counts each of assault with a deadly weapon and one count each of attempted robbery and conspiracy to commit robbery. They all were jailed in lieu of bail. Prosecutors have said previously that investigators determined that the motive for the attack was robbery and not the victim's sexual orientation. On Wednesday protesters picketed outside Los Angeles district attorney Steve Cooley's office, calling for his removal. If the men are convicted on all counts, their prison terms would range from six to 20 years.

Tags: World

AddThis

READER COMMENTS ()

Quantcast