Fugitive convicted of murdering gay man is found slain
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 12:00 AM ET
A fugitive sought for his role in the 1990 killing of a gay man in Queens, N.Y., has been found shot to death in Mexico, according to The New York Times.
Esat Bici, 30, was one of New York's most wanted fugitives for his role in the murder of Julio Rivera, a bartender who was beaten and stabbed to death in a Jackson Heights school yard in 1990 because he was gay. Bici was killed on October 2 in Tijuana in what appeared to be a drug-related shooting, said Queens district attorney Richard A. Brown.
Bici was convicted of Rivera's murder in 1991 along with another man, Erik Brown. The two had conspired with a third man, Daniel Doyle, to attack a gay man in the school yard--known as a gay cruising spot--at Public School 69 in Jackson Heights, according to Doyle's testimony. After luring Rivera into an isolated corner of the yard on July 2, 1990, Bici beat him with a beer bottle and a hammer, and Doyle stabbed him, according to court testimony.
Bici disappeared in 1996 while awaiting a retrial. He was featured on America's Most Wanted twice, and the New York City Gay and Lesbian Anti-Violence Project posted a $10,000 reward for information leading to his arrest.
Rivera's brother Theodore said the news of Bici's death was a relief. "I don't think there's a day goes by that either my brother's name or his passing does not affect my family," he said.
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
- Boy Scouts Timeline
Sign Up For Email Updates
- The Wedding Channel PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People 39 min 47 sec ago
- Youth WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Scout Comes Out to Camp Leader 1 hour 40 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay? 2 hours 6 min ago
- Current Issue We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago 2 hours 40 min ago
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo May 22 2013 10:00 PM
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper May 22 2013 9:00 PM
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? May 22 2013 8:15 PM