Knesset official proposes equal benefits for same-sex partners
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 15 2002 12:00 AM ET
The chairman of the house committee in Israel's Knesset, Yossi Katz of the Labor Party, has proposed altering the Israeli parliament's rules to ensure that gay partners of Knesset members have the same rights as their heterosexual counterparts, according to the Tel Aviv daily newspaper Ha'aretz.
The move comes ahead of the addition of the first openly gay Knesset member, professor Uzi Even, who will replace Amnon Rubinstein as a representative of the Meretz Party at the start of the Knesset's winter session in November.
Knesset sources are expecting a turbulent meeting when the house committee convenes to discuss the proposal, given the objections of several conservative religious members.
"It is unacceptable that one member of the Knesset will be discriminated against compared to the other 119 members, simply because of his sexual orientation," said Katz. "Until now we have not been forced to deal with this issue, since there has not been an open homosexual in the Knesset. The proposed changes are not significant, but, hopefully, they will serve as an example to other places of work in Israel, both in the public and private sectors."
- WATCH: What Happens When a Gay Boy Scout Comes Out to His Camp Leader
- Canada Lifts Lifetime Ban on Blood Donations by Gay Men
- PHOTOS: Real Weddings, Real People
- Op-ed: Are We More Successful Because We’re Gay?
- We Love Liberace Now Even More Than 30 Years Ago
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Is 'Scared, Overwhelmed' By Potential Felony Sex Abuse Charges 4 min 2 sec ago
- World News Australia's Penny Wong Fights Homophobic Comments 24 min 55 sec ago
- Women Pretty Little Liars Adds Rumer Willis to Roster and Lands Teen Choice Nominations 27 min 49 sec ago
- Music WATCH: Adam Levine Gets a Shirtless Paint Job 40 min 31 sec ago
- Books Three Great Books About HIV 42 min 24 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Amy Schumer Uses Tig Notaro's Cancer for Her Own Personal Gain 1 hour 31 sec ago
- Crime Editor of Gay Website Beaten in London 1 hour 2 min ago