Jeb Bush tangles with opponent over gay rights
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 17 2002 12:00 AM ET
Florida governor Jeb Bush, faced with a dwindling lead in the polls in his race to be reelected, squared off against Democratic rival Bill McBride Tuesday in a debate that highlighted the candidates' differing views on gay rights.
Florida is the only state in the nation that has a blanket prohibition on gay men and lesbians adopting children. Bush said he doesn't think gays should be allowed to adopt, while McBride called such a policy discrimination and said, "It's not the American way, and it's not the right way."
The Miami Herald reports that when the topic of the gay adoption ban came up, Bush was forced to answer to a remark he made recently implying that the caretakers of a missing Miami child are lesbian. "I didn't mean any harm by the remarks," Bush said.
Neither candidate mentioned that McBride, while heading up the law firm Holland and Knight, declined to represent a gay couple who, as foster parents, wanted to challenge Florida law and be allowed to adopt. McBride has previously said that there was no consensus within the firm on taking the case--which created a rift among partners--and that he did not want to push his views on his colleagues.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Marriage Equality Makes Progress in U.K.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 48 min 8 sec ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 22 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 22 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 22 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM