Paris mayor out of the hospital
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe left the hospital Thursday, nearly two weeks after being stabbed in the abdomen during an all-night public party at Paris's City Hall.
Delanoe underwent emergency surgery shortly after being attacked during the French capital's "Sleepless Night'' festival on October 6. The 52-year-old mayor suffered injuries to the stomach, the intestines, and the major blood vessel that brings blood from the lower body to the heart. He is expected to fully recover.
The suspect in the stabbing, Azedine Berkane, 39, has told investigators that he committed the crime out of a dislike of gay people and politicians, authorities said. Berkane has been placed under formal investigation, one step short of being charged.
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Meet the 2013 Point Foundation Scholars
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- President Obama Adresses LGBT Rights in Berlin Speech
- R&B Singer Monifah Carter Talks About Her Journey as a Lesbian in the Music Industry
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini 56 min 1 sec ago
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club 2 hours 49 min ago
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM
- Women Martina Navratilova, Billie Jean King Among First Inductees to Gay and Lesbian Sports Hall of Fame June 19 2013 6:51 PM
- Entertainment News Dolce & Gabbana Sentenced To Jail June 19 2013 6:20 PM