Paris mayor out of the hospital
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe left the hospital Thursday, nearly two weeks after being stabbed in the abdomen during an all-night public party at Paris's City Hall.
Delanoe underwent emergency surgery shortly after being attacked during the French capital's "Sleepless Night'' festival on October 6. The 52-year-old mayor suffered injuries to the stomach, the intestines, and the major blood vessel that brings blood from the lower body to the heart. He is expected to fully recover.
The suspect in the stabbing, Azedine Berkane, 39, has told investigators that he committed the crime out of a dislike of gay people and politicians, authorities said. Berkane has been placed under formal investigation, one step short of being charged.
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Gallery of Geek: Yannick Tallarida
- The Cities LGBTs Love And the Ones We Shun
- Op-ed: I'm a Trans Man Who Doesn't 'Pass' — And You Shouldn't Either
- Eurovision Winner Who Called Gays an 'Abnormality' Changes Tune
- Dan Savage Calls Out Duggar's 'Staggering' Family Values Hypocrisy