Paris mayor out of the hospital
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 18 2002 11:00 PM ET
Openly gay Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe left the hospital Thursday, nearly two weeks after being stabbed in the abdomen during an all-night public party at Paris's City Hall.
Delanoe underwent emergency surgery shortly after being attacked during the French capital's "Sleepless Night'' festival on October 6. The 52-year-old mayor suffered injuries to the stomach, the intestines, and the major blood vessel that brings blood from the lower body to the heart. He is expected to fully recover.
The suspect in the stabbing, Azedine Berkane, 39, has told investigators that he committed the crime out of a dislike of gay people and politicians, authorities said. Berkane has been placed under formal investigation, one step short of being charged.
- VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers
- Artist Spotlight: Best of Art, 2013
- Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- BREAKING: Utah Marriage Ban Unconstitutional
- LGBT Activist Goes Missing in Buffalo, Community Rallies
- Travel PHOTOS: Amazing Gay Rodeo Exhibit in Indianapolis December 21 2013 6:34 PM
- Media Report: A&E CEO Suspended Robertson for Sake of Gay Employees December 21 2013 5:37 PM
- Media Should PR Exec Be Fired for AIDS Tweet? December 21 2013 3:03 PM
- Media VIDEO: Duck Dynasty Star Says Gay People are Evil Murderers December 21 2013 2:25 PM
- Business Lockheed Martin Cuts Off Money to Antigay Boy Scouts December 21 2013 1:10 PM
- Transgender LGBT Activist Goes Missing, Community Rallies December 21 2013 12:08 PM
- Transgender New Jersey Senate Passes Transgender Birth Certificate Bill December 21 2013 6:00 AM