Paris mayor out of the hospital
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 19 2002 12:00 AM ET
Openly gay Paris mayor Bertrand Delanoe left the hospital Thursday, nearly two weeks after being stabbed in the abdomen during an all-night public party at Paris's City Hall.
Delanoe underwent emergency surgery shortly after being attacked during the French capital's "Sleepless Night'' festival on October 6. The 52-year-old mayor suffered injuries to the stomach, the intestines, and the major blood vessel that brings blood from the lower body to the heart. He is expected to fully recover.
The suspect in the stabbing, Azedine Berkane, 39, has told investigators that he committed the crime out of a dislike of gay people and politicians, authorities said. Berkane has been placed under formal investigation, one step short of being charged.
- 60 Music Videos That Raised LGBT Visibility
- Lesbian Feminist Cathy Brennan Sues AfterEllen for Defamation
- REPORT: Lawsuit Targets Woman Killed in Caitlyn Jenner Crash
- Op-ed: Whither Gay Provincetown?
- U.S. Marine Claims 'Trans Panic' in Murder of Trans Filipina Jennifer Laude
- Op-ed: Michael Sam Helps Therapy Come Out of the Closet