Columbus papers to list same-sex announcements
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Columbus [Ohio] Dispatch announced Sunday that it will recognize same-sex commitment ceremonies, making it the latest newspaper in the country to open its wedding pages to gay couples. The newspaper will begin publishing commitment ceremony announcements beginning November 3, editor Benjamin J. Marrison said in a column on Sunday. The announcements will be part of a new "Celebrations" advertising feature, published in the Sunday Accent section. The feature will contain announcements of weddings, anniversaries, births, engagements, and commitments. Except for golden wedding anniversaries, the announcements carry a charge. As is the policy with weddings, Marrison said, "only those unions that have been registered or had their commitments affirmed in an officiated ceremony will be recognized." More than 140 newspapers are now publishing commitment announcements, according to the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope'
- PHOTOS: Marry Me in Maine
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Youth Give Homeless LGBT Youth a 'Shred of Hope' 1 hour 21 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 4:00 AM
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM