N.J. governor expected to support partnership bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 21 2002 11:00 PM ET
A bill expected to be introduced in the New Jersey legislature this month that would grant legal benefits to same-sex couples is likely to have the backing of Gov. James E. McGreevey. "Governor McGreevey supports legislation that would provide domestic-partner benefits and protections," McGreevey spokeswoman Jo Glading told the Sunday Star-Ledger of Newark. The bill, sponsored by Assemblywoman Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen), would not recognize marriages between gay people but would ensure that people living together, including same-sex couples, would receive the same legal benefits as married couples. The measure would require unmarried couples to sign a certificate that states they are committed, intimate partners. "I think this is another case where the law has to catch up with reality," Weinberg said. "Folks are living together in committed relationships with the opposite or same sex. They should not be left bereft when something happens to one of the couple." The bill would guarantee benefits including those involving medical decisions, inheritance and pensions, and life and health insurance.
Republican state senator Gerald Cardinale, who introduced legislation in February to ban same-sex marriages, opposes the new bill. "What people do privately without sticking it in the public is of much less interest," Cardinale said, "but once you begin to ask government to sanction it, I think, you are in a different ballpark."
If the new measure becomes law, New Jersey would be the third state in the country to allow marriage-like benefits to partners living together. California and Vermont are the other states.
- Uganda As Aid Cuts Continue, Ugandan Officials Not Concerned 10 min 6 sec ago
- Religion Fired Gay Administrator Sues Wash. Catholic School 12 min 21 sec ago
- Women Who the F Is … California Politico Toni Atkins? 1 hour 14 min ago
- Women Op-ed: Why We Need International Women's Day 1 hour 17 min ago
- Books Lambda Literary Awards: Leavitt, Bianchi, Winterson Nominated 1 hour 25 min ago
- Women 19 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Saskia de Brauw 1 hour 42 min ago
- Television Scott Bakula, Looking's Gay Daddy, Talks About Quantum Leap & His Favorite Flower 1 hour 43 min ago