N.J. governor expected to support partnership bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 22 2002 12:00 AM ET
A bill expected to be introduced in the New Jersey legislature this month that would grant legal benefits to same-sex couples is likely to have the backing of Gov. James E. McGreevey. "Governor McGreevey supports legislation that would provide domestic-partner benefits and protections," McGreevey spokeswoman Jo Glading told the Sunday Star-Ledger of Newark. The bill, sponsored by Assemblywoman Loretta Weinberg (D-Bergen), would not recognize marriages between gay people but would ensure that people living together, including same-sex couples, would receive the same legal benefits as married couples. The measure would require unmarried couples to sign a certificate that states they are committed, intimate partners. "I think this is another case where the law has to catch up with reality," Weinberg said. "Folks are living together in committed relationships with the opposite or same sex. They should not be left bereft when something happens to one of the couple." The bill would guarantee benefits including those involving medical decisions, inheritance and pensions, and life and health insurance.
Republican state senator Gerald Cardinale, who introduced legislation in February to ban same-sex marriages, opposes the new bill. "What people do privately without sticking it in the public is of much less interest," Cardinale said, "but once you begin to ask government to sanction it, I think, you are in a different ballpark."
If the new measure becomes law, New Jersey would be the third state in the country to allow marriage-like benefits to partners living together. California and Vermont are the other states.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM