N.Y. senate set for gay rights bill
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 24 2002 12:00 AM ET
The leader of New York's Republican-controlled state senate said lawmakers will return to session in December to pass the Sexual Orientation Non-Discrimination Act, a move that could bolster Gov. George Pataki's reelection drive. Majority Leader Joseph Bruno said Tuesday that the senate will also try to reach deals with Pataki and the Democrat-led state assembly on other bills that have been stuck in legislative limbo for months and even years. Pataki has long called for passage of the gay rights bill but has been criticized for not getting the senate to pass it. SONDA, approved earlier this year by the assembly, would protect gay men and lesbians from abuse, harassment, and discrimination in employment, housing, and public services.
Assembly speaker Sheldon Silver said the promise of Republicans' passing the bill is an "election-year gift" to Pataki. The 25,000-member Empire State Pride Agenda, the bill's principal advocate and the largest gay rights group in the state, is expected to announce its gubernatorial endorsement on Friday. "I think this is the breakthrough we've been fighting for for over three decades," said Matt Foreman, ESPA executive director.
In a statement Tuesday, Pataki praised Bruno for bringing the senate back to the legislation. He said he hopes the assembly also returns and that deals can be struck on other bills.
- Op-ed: In Defense of Looking
- This Is How Every Parent Should Respond After Their 13-Year-Old Comes Out
- Throwback Thursday: Richard Simmons Gets Inappropriate on Whose Line Is It Anyway?
- Op-ed: NOM Can’t Shut Me Down
- From The Archives: The Groovy Guy, '69
- After Elimination: Vivacious of RuPaul's Drag Race Season 6
- Travel Destination of the Week: Denmark March 13 2014 7:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Daughter Teaches Mom Lesbian Slang March 13 2014 7:27 PM
- Women What do the OINTB Season 2 Promo Pics Mean for the Ladies of Litchfield? March 13 2014 7:14 PM
- Women BREAKING: Father of Murdered Texas Lesbian Arrested March 13 2014 6:34 PM
- Travel Directors, Reality Housewives and the Sad Story of WeHo's 'Death Corner' March 13 2014 5:33 PM
- Politics Michigan's First Out Federal Judge Confirmed March 13 2014 4:34 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Model Andrej Pejic Shouts: 'I'm a Boy and I'm a Girl!' March 13 2014 4:25 PM