Pro-gay church takes a stand
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 25 2002 11:00 PM ET
Presbyterians unhappy with their denomination's attitude toward gay men and lesbians plan to use the best-known symbol of the Reformation on Sunday by nailing their demands to the door of a church. The door of South Presbyterian Church in Dobbs Ferry, N.Y., will then be removed and used as a Communion table for a worship service at which hundreds of progressive Presbyterians will demonstrate support for gay ordination and gay marriage. The church in Dobbs Ferry has been actively dissenting for years from the teaching of the 2.6-million-member Presbyterian Church (USA). Its pastors' openness about conducting same-sex union ceremonies led to a national Presbyterian church trial, which ended with the denomination's highest court concluding in 2000 that such ceremonies are acceptable if different from traditional marriages.
South Presbyterian Church recently declared, however, that it would no longer distinguish between straight and gay marriages. Additionally, it has promised to ignore a prohibition against ordaining sexually active gays and lesbians. The Reverend Joseph Gilmore, senior pastor at South Church, told The [White Plains] Journal News, "We want a church reformed to move as close as possible to the hospitality of God, which means that no one, no one, can be excluded." The service is being sponsored by progressive groups from three of the most liberal regions of Presbyterian Church (USA): New York's Hudson Valley, New York City, and New England. In 1517, Martin Luther nailed his 95 Theses to the doors of the Wittenberg Church in Germany, leading to the Protestant Reformation.
- The Advocate's Person of the Year: Pope Francis
- Duck Dynasty Star Slams Sinful 'Homosexuals, Drunks, Terrorists'
- Meet the People Fired for Being LGBT in 2013
- WATCH: Gay Military Couple Share 'A Story About Love'
- Phobie Awards: The 13 Worst People of the Year
- Pope Removes Hard-Line Marriage Equality Opponent From Vatican Panel
- Women Kim Basinger is Sleek and Sexy in Pin-Striped Men's Suit December 18 2013 9:50 PM
- Women Op-ed: The Right's War on Christmas - The 2013 Edition! December 18 2013 9:06 PM
- Entertainment News Ian McKellen Surprised Hobbit Fans At Desolation of Smaug Screening December 18 2013 7:07 PM
- Travel Sia Wants You to Help the Street Animals of India December 18 2013 5:23 PM
- Media BBC to Air Buffy The Vampire Slayer Retrospective December 18 2013 4:54 PM
- Women WATCH: Julia Roberts Is the Caboose in an Ellen DeGeneres Conga Line! December 18 2013 4:49 PM
- Sports Chicago Gay Hockey Association Wins at Celebrating Christmas December 18 2013 4:19 PM