E-mail campaign targets antigay Idaho magistrate
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 1:00 AM ET
An E-mail campaign is circulating against a Bonneville County, Ida., magistrate up for reelection on the November 5 ballot. At least 51 people have received E-mails asking them to vote against retaining Judge L. Mark Riddoch because of his ruling against a gay father in a custody battle.
Riddoch's ruling allows Idaho Falls resident Theron McGriff to visit his two daughters, though he cannot live with his partner and keep custody. McGriff has appealed the decision to the Idaho supreme court.
The E-mail says the ruling has resulted in negative publicity. "Worldwide publicity reciting Riddoch's court opinion has caused Idaho Falls residents to be misportrayed as bigoted, narrow-minded reactionaries," the E-mail reads. "This is not an accurate reflection of who we are."
It is not clear who is leading the campaign to oust Riddoch. The E-mail says it was "originated by private individuals with no connection to any organizations and without the involvement or endorsement of Mr. McGriff."
McGriff learned Friday of the campaign and said he has nothing to do with it.
Although Bonneville County resident Melanie Seneff was not sure where the campaign originated, she forwarded the E-mail to 39 people. Seneff said she is concerned about Riddoch's ruling and sees plenty of support for McGriff. "I really do think people need to be aware," Seneff said.
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Arts & Entertainment Week in Beef: Ben Cohen, Frank Ocean, Hugh Jackman, and More Shirtless Celebs May 19 2013 6:02 PM
- Sports Griner: Baylor Coach Enforced Closet Policy May 19 2013 5:59 PM
- Politicians Gay Activists Interrupt Marco Rubio Speech May 19 2013 2:03 PM
- Hate-crimes WATCH: Vigil for Hate Crime Victim Mark Carson May 19 2013 1:01 PM
- Comedy WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression May 19 2013 12:39 PM
- Television WATCH: Did Stefon Marry Seth Meyers or Anderson Cooper? May 19 2013 12:32 PM
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM