Kentucky school finally gets GSA
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 12:00 AM ET
After their requests to hold meetings on school grounds were twice denied, members of the Boyd County [Ky.] High School gay-straight alliance are preparing for their first meeting.
On Monday the school's six-member parent-teacher council voted 3-2 to allow the group to hold meetings at the rural 990-student high school. Twice this year the council unanimously rejected the alliance's requests to meet at the school. Last month the American Civil Liberties Union sent a letter to the parent-teacher council saying that under the federal Equal Access Act, the alliance must be allowed to use school facilities if other noncurricular groups have access.
Monday's vote sparked an hour-long discussion, during which some parents threatened to remove their children from the school and others threatened legal action.
Alliance members say they are looking forward to this week's meeting. "I'm very excited and happy," said alliance member Lena Reese, 15, a Catlettsburg sophomore. "I really hope that it makes more people in the area and state speak up and try and get chapters in their areas. Maybe we'll set the pace."
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 1 hour 46 min ago
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM