Presbyterian ministers protest gay-friendly churches
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 30 2002 1:00 AM ET
Five Presbyterian ministers from Pennsylvania and Illinois have called on leaders of the Presbyterian Church (USA) to discipline gay-friendly churches. The ministers posted a declaration of protest Monday on the door of the denomination's headquarters in downtown Louisville, Ky., imitating the dramatic act that launched the Protestant Reformation in 1517.
The declaration wants the denomination to discipline churches that openly defy the church constitution, which bans the ordination of noncelibate gay men or women and forbids same-sex marriages. The church permits same-sex unions that don't resemble marriages, however. "The Presbyterian Church (USA) is decaying and dying in the belly of the beast and is irretrievably apostate under current management," the statement read.
Clifton Kirkpatrick, who as stated clerk is the Presbyterians' top officer for enforcing the constitution, said that he has made it clear that defiance of church laws is "inappropriate" but that enforcement of such laws should generally be done at local or regional levels, according to the Presbyterian News Service.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
- Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- LGBT-Inclusive Immigration Reform Good As Dead, Say Advocates
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Neither Democrats Nor Republicans Pleased With Virginia's GOP Lt. Gov. Nominee 16 min 15 sec ago
- Entertainment News Bling King: Liberace Car, Piano on View in NYC 32 min 35 sec ago
- Love and Sex Dear Digital Romeo: How Do I Seduce a Guy Through Chat? 55 min 32 sec ago
- Women Free Kate — She's Been Targeted Before, Says Father 1 hour 45 min ago
- Marriage Equality Illinois Will Pass Marriage Equality Bill, Sponsor Says 2 hours 29 min ago
- Women Op-Ed: Case of Lesbian Teen Kaitlyn Hunt Raises Questions About Sexual Double Standard 2 hours 41 min ago
- Music WATCH: Is This the Worst Music Video Ever? 2 hours 55 min ago