Bisexual alleged serial killer confesses
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2002 12:00 AM ET
Police in Denver believe that a man arrested in August in connection with one man's murder may be responsible for the deaths of at least seven men, five of whom were, or
may have been, gay. In interviews with Denver's Channel 4 TV and the Rocky Mountain News, Sean Paul Hanify admitted that he killed a string of people.
"Killing is just a personal choice and a personal thing; it's something private," said Hanify.
"It's not just a job; it's an adventure."
Authorities say Hanify could be responsible for five killings in Denver, including a yearlong series of stabbings that left three gay men dead in Denver's Capitol Hill in 1992.
Recently Hanify said he had killed as many as seven people, including two in San Francisco and one in Utah. He talked about his love of killing, of hammers and knives--his chosen tools of death--and of the string of people he picked randomly to stalk, torture, and kill starting shortly after his 18th birthday.
Although many of Hanify's alleged victims were gay men, the murders are not
being investigated as bias-motivated, according to homicide investigator Lt.
The Colorado Anti-Violence Program expressed sadness and concern in response to Hanify's confession. "Hanify identifies as bisexual, but this does not necessarily rule out some level of antigay bias--either because of Hanify's personal issues with gay
men or his need to act out his own internalized homophobia," commented
program executive director Denise de Percin in a statement.
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Op-ed: How a Symbol Changed Hearts and Minds
- Transcript and Video: Olympic Diver Tom Daley Comes Out
- The Daily Show's Gaywatch, Feat. Ian McKellen, Rick Santorum, and Cardinal Dolan
- Travel An American in Dublin: Exploring Gay Life Over the Rainbow 5 min 8 sec ago
- Parenting Israel Set to Grant Gay Men Adoption Tax Benefits 17 min 6 sec ago
- Sports Croatia Proves Why It Has The Hottest Men's Water Polo Team 18 min 37 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment Trans Game Designer Is Bringing Diversity to Digital Realm 7:00 AM
- Acceptance Matters Op-ed: Creator of Red Equal Sign on Why It Mattered 6:05 AM
- Daily Dose You Think You’re Worried? 5:00 AM
- Arts & Entertainment PHOTOS: An X Factor for Grandma's LGBT Bowling League 5:00 AM