Bisexual alleged serial killer confesses
BY Advocate.com Editors
October 31 2002 12:00 AM ET
Police in Denver believe that a man arrested in August in connection with one man's murder may be responsible for the deaths of at least seven men, five of whom were, or
may have been, gay. In interviews with Denver's Channel 4 TV and the Rocky Mountain News, Sean Paul Hanify admitted that he killed a string of people.
"Killing is just a personal choice and a personal thing; it's something private," said Hanify.
"It's not just a job; it's an adventure."
Authorities say Hanify could be responsible for five killings in Denver, including a yearlong series of stabbings that left three gay men dead in Denver's Capitol Hill in 1992.
Recently Hanify said he had killed as many as seven people, including two in San Francisco and one in Utah. He talked about his love of killing, of hammers and knives--his chosen tools of death--and of the string of people he picked randomly to stalk, torture, and kill starting shortly after his 18th birthday.
Although many of Hanify's alleged victims were gay men, the murders are not
being investigated as bias-motivated, according to homicide investigator Lt.
The Colorado Anti-Violence Program expressed sadness and concern in response to Hanify's confession. "Hanify identifies as bisexual, but this does not necessarily rule out some level of antigay bias--either because of Hanify's personal issues with gay
men or his need to act out his own internalized homophobia," commented
program executive director Denise de Percin in a statement.
- Colo. School Board Member Denies Existence of Gay, Trans Identities
- Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful Christmas Lights
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- WATCH: Pastor Rick Warren's Orwellian 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Music A Brief History of Macklemore's 'Same Love' 9:10 AM
- Transgender Gay, Trans Identities Don't Exist, Says Colo. School Board Member 7:00 AM
- World News PHOTOS: Don't Miss the Message in Rome's Beautiful New Lights 1:47 AM
- Travel Wedding Bells Ring Down Under December 07 2013 3:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Rick Warren's 'Doublespeak' on Marriage Equality December 07 2013 3:32 PM
- Entertainment News Macklemore & Ryan Lewis Score 7 Grammy Nominations December 07 2013 1:32 PM
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year December 07 2013 8:00 AM