Lesbian ordered to pay child support
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 02 2002 12:00 AM ET
A family court commissioner has ordered a woman in Newark, Del., to begin making child support payments for her estranged lesbian partner's 5-year-old son.
The ruling, signed Wednesday by family court commissioner John Carrow, makes Delaware one of a handful of states where gay people have been ordered to pay child support to their estranged partners.
Earlier this year, Carrow set a state precedent by ruling, in effect, that the boy, referred to in court papers as David, has two mothers. The biological mother, referred to in court by the pseudonym Karen Chambers, became pregnant through in vitro fertilization. She sought mandatory child support for the boy after her estranged partner, referred to in court as Carol, was awarded permanent visitation rights two years ago.
The order calls for Carol, who works at an automobile assembly plant, to pay $501 a month in support, plus $41 a month to cover retroactive obligations. "That's what I was asking for," said Karen, who has been unemployed for several years and receives stress-related disability payments. "I'm just hoping it doesn't go to appeal after appeal."
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination, Judge Rules
- In the Galleries: Transformer
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- WATCH: What Do These Gay Hockey Players Want for Christmas?
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- Marriage Equality Washington's Weddings Were 17 Percent Gay Last Year 8:00 AM
- Marriage Equality Colo. Bakery's Refusal to Bake Gay Wedding Cake Is Discrimination 7:00 AM
- Art In the Galleries: Transformer 4:00 AM
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM