Lesbian ordered to pay child support
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 02 2002 1:00 AM ET
A family court commissioner has ordered a woman in Newark, Del., to begin making child support payments for her estranged lesbian partner's 5-year-old son.
The ruling, signed Wednesday by family court commissioner John Carrow, makes Delaware one of a handful of states where gay people have been ordered to pay child support to their estranged partners.
Earlier this year, Carrow set a state precedent by ruling, in effect, that the boy, referred to in court papers as David, has two mothers. The biological mother, referred to in court by the pseudonym Karen Chambers, became pregnant through in vitro fertilization. She sought mandatory child support for the boy after her estranged partner, referred to in court as Carol, was awarded permanent visitation rights two years ago.
The order calls for Carol, who works at an automobile assembly plant, to pay $501 a month in support, plus $41 a month to cover retroactive obligations. "That's what I was asking for," said Karen, who has been unemployed for several years and receives stress-related disability payments. "I'm just hoping it doesn't go to appeal after appeal."
- Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT
- Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Peace Corps Recognizes, Respects Same-Sex Couples
- Schumer Admits Reason He Left Gays Out of Immigration 'Provides Little Comfort'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Sports Water Polo Player Addresses WeHo City Council in Speedo 53 min 59 sec ago
- Comics and Graphic Novels This Gay Superhero Comic Is So Super Duper 1 hour 53 min ago
- The End of Bullying Could Video Games Be a Cure for Anti-LGBT Bullying? 2 hours 38 min ago
- Women Kaitlyn Hunt's Lawyer: Possible Plea Deal, But No Felony For Same-Sex High School Relationship 7:03 PM
- Military Donald Rumsfeld Isn't Sure, But Marriage Equality Might Lead to Polygamy 7:01 PM
- Internet WATCH: The First AIDS Generation in Giant Town Hall 6:16 PM
- Politics Joe Biden Praises Jewish Leaders for Marriage Equality 6:09 PM