Lesbian ordered to pay child support
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 02 2002 1:00 AM ET
A family court commissioner has ordered a woman in Newark, Del., to begin making child support payments for her estranged lesbian partner's 5-year-old son.
The ruling, signed Wednesday by family court commissioner John Carrow, makes Delaware one of a handful of states where gay people have been ordered to pay child support to their estranged partners.
Earlier this year, Carrow set a state precedent by ruling, in effect, that the boy, referred to in court papers as David, has two mothers. The biological mother, referred to in court by the pseudonym Karen Chambers, became pregnant through in vitro fertilization. She sought mandatory child support for the boy after her estranged partner, referred to in court as Carol, was awarded permanent visitation rights two years ago.
The order calls for Carol, who works at an automobile assembly plant, to pay $501 a month in support, plus $41 a month to cover retroactive obligations. "That's what I was asking for," said Karen, who has been unemployed for several years and receives stress-related disability payments. "I'm just hoping it doesn't go to appeal after appeal."
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 17 min 34 sec ago
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM