Mexican town cracks down on cross-dressing
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 05 2002 1:00 AM ET
The wrong sort of dress--any dress at all, in fact--could get a guy arrested in Tecate, Mexico, a quiet border town that suddenly finds itself on the front line of a battle over gay rights. Scheduled to go into effect in mid November, a new town ordinance states that cross-dressing men could be arrested and fined. The ordinance doesn't mention women. Officials said the offense does not carry a prison term, though in practice it could mean putting people in jail at least overnight. "The majority of votes for this was to avoid AIDS--and prostitution, if possible," Tecate councilman Cosme Cazares said. "That's why we're focusing on men who dress like women. This is for health reasons. It's not to bother these boys." Approved last week by the city council, the ordinance has drawn a storm of criticism on both sides of the border.
"I can't even go outside now," said Vladimer Garcia, also known as Saidi, a 23-year-old transgendered woman who owns a beauty salon in Tecate. "I leave work at 8 p.m., and I have to grab a cab because instead of protecting myself against muggers, I now have to protect myself against the police."
The measure is part of a "good conduct" code being taken up by the five municipalities in the Pacific coast state of Baja California, which borders California. Tecate was the first to enact it. In Tijuana, council members promised this week not to enact the ordinance--after transvestites threatened to publicly reveal the names of officials who have solicited homosexual prostitutes. The state's other three municipalities have not taken up the ordinance yet.
- New Antigay Children's Book Teaches Kids to Hate LGBT Families
- WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea Deal, Girlfriend's Parents Say They Had No Choice
- Robbie Rogers Becomes First Openly Gay Major League Soccer Player
- French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash
- Artist Spotlight: Christopher Sousa
- Hot Sheet: Too Much Is Never Enough
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Television Jason Collins Calls It a 'Slam-Dunk!' and More Fake Gay Reviews for Behind the Candelabra 6:30 PM
- Food and Drink Want to Eat a Hot Dog Named After Harvey Fierstein? 5:53 PM
- Marriage Equality French Marriage Equality Opponent 'Very Scared' Of Right-Wing Backlash 3:02 PM
- Entertainment News Augusten Burroughs Shows Off Wedding Rings 1:56 PM
- Women WATCH: Kaitlyn Hunt Rejects Plea, Victim's Parents Speak 1:21 PM
- Washington D.C. White House to Host Pride Reception June 13 12:44 PM
- Politics Virginia's Lt. Gov. Nominee Says Gays Are 'Ikky' 12:35 PM