Colorado Springs, Colo., passes DP benefits
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 08 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Colorado, Springs, Colo., city council has decided to extend health care benefits to same-sex partners of city employees, prompting warnings from opponents that council members could be ousted by voters angered by the decision. The 5-4 vote Wednesday to include the benefits in next year's budget was preliminary, but final approval of the entire budget is considered a formality. That vote could come by early December.
Focus on the Family, a conservative Christian ministry based in Colorado Springs, campaigned last week to block the plan, sending letters to 14,000 local families. "City government has ignored the will of the people to pursue a political agenda," said Peter Brandt of Focus on the Family. "We're very disappointed."
Councilman Jim Null, who voted in favor of the benefits, said he received about 400 E-mails Monday and Tuesday regarding the issue, 70% of them voicing opposition to the benefits. Brandt and councilwoman Margaret Radford, who voted against the proposal, said same-sex partner benefits could be an issue in municipal elections this April, with those council members who voted for the benefits being targeted for defeat. "This benefit may exist for the next six months or a year and [then] be taken out of the budget," Radford said.
- Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies
- Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship
- Photos: Cuba Libre
- Porn Star Wilfried Knight Commits Suicide After Long Battle With Immigration
- Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill
- WATCH: Today's Tearjerker Featuring Binational Couple With 'Missing Husband'
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Crime Gay Man Gunned Down in NYC Street, Dies UPDATED: May 18 2013 7:24 PM
- Youth Florida Teen Arrested, Expelled for Same-Sex Relationship May 18 2013 6:58 PM
- Media Legendary Gay Gossip Columnist Michael Musto Responds to Being Laid Off May 18 2013 3:21 PM
- Marriage Equality Vive la France! Hollande Signs Marriage Equality Bill May 18 2013 12:20 PM
- Photography Photos: Cuba Libre May 18 2013 5:29 AM
- Television These 20 Sexy Pics of Stephen Amell Will Hit Your Bullseye May 17 2013 9:00 PM
- Politics Portugal Approves Adoption Rights for Same-Sex Spouses May 17 2013 8:32 PM