Pelosi elected House minority leader
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 15 2002 12:00 AM ET
House Democrats on Thursday made California representative Nancy Pelosi of San Francisco the first woman ever to head a political party's caucus in Congress. Democrats settled on the 62-year-old pro-gay liberal to succeed Dick Gephardt of Missouri, who ended his eight years as minority party leader after an election in which Republicans cemented their control over the House and won back the majority in the Senate.
In choosing Pelosi on a 177-29 vote, Democrats have tasked the veteran congresswoman with reviving a party stunned by election setbacks and facing a political landscape in which the White House and both houses of Congress are controlled by Republicans.
Pelosi is a strong supporter of gay rights, telling The Washington Post Thursday that she questions the message Republicans are sending when they harp on where she comes from. "When people say 'San Francisco liberal,' are they talking about protecting the environment, educating the American children, building economic success?" she asked rhetorically. "No, they are talking about gay people. Well, I was brought up to believe that all people are God's children. And the last time I checked, that included gay people."
As flowers and congratulatory notes began to fill her spacious Capitol office, Pelosi told the San Francisco Chronicle that those who try to tag her with a simplistic political label misunderstand her pragmatic nature and the tactical role of minority leader. "To be a leader is not to say that everyone in the country--or the Congress--must vote along with you and your district," she said. She added that she will push the Democratic Party to develop an economic growth plan to distinguish itself from the GOP and will draw up a political road map to win back the majority as early as 2004.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 1 min 1 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season December 04 2013 7:41 PM