Respected Presbyterian minister resigns
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 19 2002 1:00 AM ET
A respected Presbyterian pastor who was removed from his duties in Mount Kisko, N.Y., because of allegations of sexual misconduct has resigned as minister. The Reverend Jack Miller explained the decision in a letter to parishioners at Mount Kisco Presbyterian Church. The minister, long a leading advocate for gay rights, also told his congregation that he is gay. "I openly acknowledge that many years ago, before I came to accept myself as a gay man, I did things that were wrong and inappropriate to my position as a minister," he said in the letter. Miller added, however, that he still denies the specifics of the misconduct allegations. In a separate letter, Miller informed the Hudson River Presbytery, representing churches in the Hudson Valley north of New York City, that he was stepping down.
Earlier this year a man alleged that Miller had abused him in the early 1980s, according to New Castle, N.Y., police sergeant James Carroll. The case could not be prosecuted because the statute of limitations had expired, he said. Miller was named "Citizen of the Year" by the Mount Kisco chamber of commerce and was honored by the Westchester Hispanic Coalition after helping start a community center that aids immigrant day laborers.
In recent years, when the Presbyterian Church (USA) was divided over the role of gay men and lesbians, Miller's church sent a letter announcing it would ignore a church law banning the ordination of gays and lesbians.
- An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement?
- Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend
- Op-ed: How Animated Shows Like Futurama Can Unite Us All
- Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other
- Advocate.com | Gay News | The Advocate | The World's Leading Source for LGBT News and Entertainment
- Martina Navratilova Blasts Russian Antigay Law
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: How My Mom Found Out About My Boyfriend 1 hour 24 min ago
- Religion An Exodus From the 'Ex-Gay' Movement? 12:50 AM
- Entertainment News A Moment For James Gandolfini June 19 2013 11:38 PM
- Entertainment News Muscle Worship: Meet the Men of L.A.'s New Gay Strip Club June 19 2013 9:45 PM
- Religion Filipino Archbishop Says Gay Men and Lesbians Can Marry — Each Other June 19 2013 7:56 PM
- Travel Drag Racing in Jerusalem June 19 2013 7:20 PM
- Crime Police Seek Suspects Who Vandalized Chick-fil-A With Antigay Slurs June 19 2013 7:18 PM