BY Advocate.com Editors
November 20 2002 12:00 AM ET
Elton John cuts TV deal to sell greatest-hits CD
Variety reports that out pop legend Elton John has found an unusual way to promote his new Elton John: Greatest Hits 1970-2002 compilation--his label has offered John's music to TV producers at lowered rates. Among those taking advantage of the cheaper licensing rights have been NBC ("Your Song" popped up in Good Morning, Miami promos, while spots touting Heather Locklear's appearance on Scrubs blared "The Bitch Is Back") and CBS ("Tiny Dancer" in Presidio Med ads and "Someone Saved My Life Tonight" in commercials for Hack). Beyond house ads, John's songs will also be surfacing in programming, from two songs in the USA Network movie Murder in Greenwich to "Rocket Man" in Six Feet Under and "Bennie and the Jets" on the WB mid-season comedy The O'Keefes.
Universal Music Enterprises president Bruce Resnikoff said the label wanted to take an unconventional approach to marketing an artist with a far-reaching audience demographic. "We wanted people humming these songs almost in a subconscious manner," he said. John also plans to make several talk-show appearances as well as a guest shot on Will & Grace in December.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Gay News, LGBT Rights, Politics, Entertainment | The Advocate
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action 48 min 52 sec ago
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? 1 hour 33 min ago
- Society Making LGBT Spirits Bright This Holiday Season 1 hour 34 min ago
- Women PHOTOS: Oxford University's Women's Rugby Club Bares All for Charity 1 hour 50 min ago
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 4:50 PM
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 4:36 PM
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 3:37 PM