BY Advocate.com Editors
November 26 2002 12:00 AM ET
GLMA releases hepatitis brochure for men who have sex with men
The Gay and Lesbian Medical Association on Friday announced the availability of a Spanish-language hepatitis brochure targeting men who have sex with men. The development and distribution of the brochure was supported through funding from drugmaker GlaxoSmithKline.
A recent survey showed that of 30 cities GLMA visited, San Antonio scored the lowest in hepatitis awareness among gay and bisexual men, a population at the greatest risk for the sexually transmitted disease. "We've been successful with our national campaign," said GLMA president Kenneth Haller Jr. "But one piece was missing. Outreach in the non-English speaking areas of the U.S. is essential if we are to successfully reduce the transmission of hepatitis A and B among MSM. Now we have the ability to communicate to a community that might not otherwise have access to this information."
Physicians, medical centers, public health departments, and others may request both the English and Spanish versions of the brochure by logging on to the GLMA web site at www.glma.org.
- WATCH: Obama Bundler, HRC Founder Terry Bean Arrested on Sex Crimes Charges
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- Smoke Signals' Gay Actor Turned Doctor Lands New Career-Defining Role
- 6 Bad Signs of a Good Relationship
- Transgender Pioneer and Stone Butch Blues Author Leslie Feinberg Has Died
- These 48 Trans Women and Men Changed the World