Guerriero to head Log Cabin Republicans
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 26 2002 12:00 AM ET
Rich Tafel, who served as executive director of the gay political group Log Cabin Republicans for over a decade, is leaving the organization, according to a Monday press release from the group. Patrick Guerriero, a former Massachusetts mayor and state lawmaker, will become the new leader of Log Cabin, the nation's largest gay Republican
organization. Guerriero will also serve as president of Liberty Education Forum, a nonpartisan research and education think tank.
As a state representative and mayor, Guerriero earned a reputation as a faithful advocate for gay and lesbian issues. He successfully lobbied for hate-crime legislation, helped to increase AIDS funding, and advocated for extending domestic-partner benefits.
"We are thrilled that Patrick Guerriero will lead our organization," said Bob Stears, chairman of the Log Cabin board of directors. "This is a fantastic time to be a Log Cabin Republican, and Patrick Guerriero is the visionary leader we need for the future. His track record as an elected official demonstrates that he can build coalitions, lead people, and manage an organization."
Tafel, who will remain in Washington, D.C., and plans to work on a welfare reform program, said, "I've long admired Patrick for his work in elective and appointed office. His experience in politics and contacts here in Washington will offer fresh leadership for LCR and take this organization to the next level."
- WATCH: The 12 Gayest Holiday Spectaculars Ever!
- 13 Classic Companies Top HRC's New Corporate Equality Index
- Op-ed: What I Didn't Learn in Catholic School
- Bryan Singer Announces News for Next X-Men Film
- Salvation Army 'Does Not Consider Homosexual Orientation a Sin'
- Mass. Lt. Gov. Candidate Backs Marriage Equality; Conservatives Object
- Media PHOTOS: Adam Lambert, Jane Lynch, Chris Colfer, Fergie at TrevorLIVE Benefit December 09 2013 9:41 PM
- Women New Family Ties: Meredith Baxter Marries Nancy Locke December 09 2013 8:01 PM
- Travel Spider-Man Will Welcome In 2014 In Times Square December 09 2013 7:52 PM
- Election Is Marriage Equality Still Politically Dangerous, Even in Mass.? December 09 2013 7:09 PM
- Entertainment News Tig Notaro Nominated for Best Comedy Album December 09 2013 6:08 PM
- HIV & AIDS Republican Pol: Gays Want Free Medical Care Because of AIDS December 09 2013 6:04 PM
- Parenting Israel Again Deals Gay Couples, Families Legislative Setback December 09 2013 4:10 PM