Reno wedding chapel considers same-sex unions
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 26 2002 12:00 AM ET
Even though Nevada does not recognize same-sex marriage, one Reno wedding chapel may begin performing same-sex commitment ceremonies similar to the wedding ceremonies offered in Las Vegas.
George Flint, owner of the Chapel of the Bells, said he has never provided same-sex ceremony services but thinks he will do so soon. He expects other Reno chapels to follow suit to help reverse a decline in the numbers of marriage ceremonies performed in northern Nevada. "We are turning away, like, three [same-sex] couples a month that want a commitment," Flint told the Reno Gazette-Journal. "If I can do those same-sex commitments, it's going to help fill up spaces."
Flint said he may require all same-sex couples to sign a waiver or consent form stating that they understand the ceremony is not a legal marriage or recognized by the state of Nevada.
"I don't have a problem with same-sex couples who are very fond of each other," he said. "They should be given the opportunity to have a commitment ceremony."
The commitment ceremonies do not bother foes of gay marriage, said Richard Ziser, chairman of the Coalition for the Protection of Marriage. His group spearheaded the campaign on behalf of Question 2, the recent anti-gay marriage measure approved by Nevada voters. "We really don't pay much attention to it at all," he told the Las Vegas Review-Journal. "If they want to have commitment services, that's fine by us. As long as the law does not recognize them."
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Defending Anti-LGBT Laws, Putin Slams 'Genderless, Fruitless Tolerance'
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 1 hour 26 min ago
- Coming Out WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video 1 hour 49 min ago
- People Photo of the Day: DLB and Tom Daley Share a Moment in Houston 1 hour 56 min ago
- Marriage Equality Australia Re-Bans Same-Sex Marriage 2 hours 4 min ago
- Entertainment News Damien Lewis vs. Ian McKellen: Homeland Actor Apologizes 2 hours 7 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Right-Wing 'Documentary' Tries to Defend 'Ex-Gay' Therapy 2 hours 15 min ago
- Internet Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay 2:44 PM