Baltimore extends antidiscrimination protection to the transgendered
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
The Baltimore city council passed a bill Monday outlawing discrimination
based on gender identity or expression, reports the Baltimore Sun.
Passed without debate, the bill makes Baltimore the nation's 53rd locality to explicitly prohibit discrimination against transgendered people, according to Lisa Mottet, a lawyer with the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force's Transgendered Civil Rights Project. Boston, Philadelphia, and New York City passed similar measures this year, she said.
The city had previously outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation.
"Tonight's vote is a great victory for the Baltimore transgender community," said Jean-Michel Brevelle, interim director for local human rights group Free State Justice. "It is the culmination of years of effort by many transgendered people and our supporters and clearly demonstrates the understanding that Baltimore city government has developed for the transgender community."
- Timothy Dolan Uncomfortable as Pope Calls for Study of Civil Unions
- WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah
- Low-Income Apartment Complex for LGBT Seniors Opens in Philadelphia
- Op-ed: A Second Look at Bisexuality
- South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books
- Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW
- Politics South Carolina Legislators Vote to Cut University Funding for Assigning LGBT Books 20 min 29 sec ago
- Politics WATCH: One Gay Man's Touching Plea for Equality in Utah 1 hour 58 min ago
- Religion Uncomfortable: Timothy Dolan Versus Pope on Civil Unions 2 hours 2 min ago
- Politics WATCH: Low-Income Apartments for LGBT Seniors Open 1:49 PM
- Comedy Johnny and Tara at 30 Rock, Can't Stop With Play-By-Play 1:00 PM
- Comedy 8 Movies Made Better With 'Let It Go' 11:50 AM
- Film Gay-Helmed Sci-Fi Film Space Station 76 Debuts at SXSW March 08 2014 8:15 PM