Baltimore extends antidiscrimination protection to the transgendered
BY Advocate.com Editors
November 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
The Baltimore city council passed a bill Monday outlawing discrimination
based on gender identity or expression, reports the Baltimore Sun.
Passed without debate, the bill makes Baltimore the nation's 53rd locality to explicitly prohibit discrimination against transgendered people, according to Lisa Mottet, a lawyer with the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force's Transgendered Civil Rights Project. Boston, Philadelphia, and New York City passed similar measures this year, she said.
The city had previously outlawed discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, physical or mental disability, and sexual orientation.
"Tonight's vote is a great victory for the Baltimore transgender community," said Jean-Michel Brevelle, interim director for local human rights group Free State Justice. "It is the culmination of years of effort by many transgendered people and our supporters and clearly demonstrates the understanding that Baltimore city government has developed for the transgender community."
- Op-ed: Why I Filmed My Coming Out Journey
- Hot Sheet: Hark the Herald Angel Swings
- WATCH: Elton John Slams 'Inhumane, Isolating' Anti-LGBT Laws In Russia
- Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Lady Gaga Congratulates Tom Daley, Urges Boycott of Sochi Olympics
- Politics WATCH: Elton John Slams Russia's Anti-LGBT Laws Onstage December 06 2013 8:40 PM
- Women American Horror Story: Coven -- Ritual Witch-ual December 06 2013 8:30 PM
- Travel Wanna Win a Wedding in West Hollywood? December 06 2013 7:26 PM
- Election Nebraska Republican Vying for Mantle as Most Antigay in Primary December 06 2013 6:53 PM
- Women WATCH: Santana Lopez as the Best Bad Santa Ever! December 06 2013 6:33 PM
- Religion WATCH: Robertson Prays for Gays 'Recruited' By Abuse December 06 2013 4:41 PM
- Women WATCH: Idina Menzel's Female Empowerment Anthem from Frozen December 06 2013 4:07 PM