Gay Games in debt again
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 05 2002 12:00 AM ET
Following a long tradition for the Gay Games, the company that ran the Sydney event, Gay Games Ltd., is in debt by more than $2.5 million and was placed in voluntary administration on Monday, Australia's ABC News reports. Administrator Peter Marsden said the company will probably have to be liquidated. He says the problems stemmed from revenue projections not being met during the event. "The timing was probably unfortunate," he said. "The Bali bombings in September had a significant impact on the number of people that actually came to Australia for the Games."
Lex Strauss, general manager of the Sound and Lighting company, says his company is still owed $4,000 for services provided for the event. "It's really upsetting, because we've been a proud supporter of a lot of gay events--you know, the Mardi Gras, a lot of events in Sydney--and we supplied them with service for the Gay Games. I'm very upset," he says.
This isn't the first time the Games has come in over budget. The day after the last Gay Games, in Amsterdam in 1998, officials announced that the event was $1 million over budget.
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Russia's High Court Declares 'Gay Propaganda' Ban Constitutional
- Bringing Diversity to the Digital Realm
- Entertainment News Bill Hader Wanted Stefon's Goodbye to Be Emotional 32 min 12 sec ago
- Women 13 Reasons to Let AHS: Coven Cast A Spell on You -- in GIFs 45 min 46 sec ago
- Sports You Can Play and NFL Team Up With LGBT Youth 1 hour 44 min ago
- Entertainment News Gay Men's Chorus of Los Angeles Performs Parody of Joe Boxer Christmas Ad 1 hour 46 min ago
- Women WATCH: Sara Gilbert on the Pressure for People Like Maria Bello to Come Out 2 hours 4 min ago
- Women Ms. Fit: A Lesbian-Friendly, Feminist Fitness Mag for All Women 2 hours 34 min ago
- Women Who Was Broadway Producer and Lesbian Cheryl Crawford? 2 hours 40 min ago