Lesbian sheriff wins recount
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 06 2002 1:00 AM ET
A recount of votes has confirmed that lesbian former Brattleboro, Vt., police sergeant Sheila Prue defeated incumbent Windham County sheriff Henry Farnum in last month's election. The recount, completed Wednesday, gave Prue an additional 92 votes, increasing her margin of victory to 382 votes. "It wasn't in the cards, was it?" Farnum said after the recount was completed. Prue, a Democrat, received 7,562 votes to Farnum's 7,180 votes, according to county court clerk Lawrence Robinson.
Farnum said he has invited Prue to the department's staff meeting scheduled for Monday, December 9, to answer people's questions, adding that that is the only meeting she will be invited to, unless she initiates some contact or dialogue with him. "I'm sheriff until February 1, 2003," he said. His loss has apparently left him feeling bitter and angry. "I don't think she has any questions," Farnum added. "It appears to me she knows it all, and you can quote me." Farnum said he believes he lost the election because Windham County is a Democratic stronghold and that Prue's gender and sexual orientation helped her. "I should have run for sheriff in the Republican county," he said.
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Can San Francisco Become the First AIDS-Free City?
- WATCH: Rachel Maddow Blasts Critics of Obama's Funny or Die Interview
- 2014's Gayest Cities in America
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM