Investigation into arson against lesbian couple virtually over
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 10 2002 12:00 AM ET
An investigation into an arson fire that destroyed the residence of a lesbian couple in Missoula, Mont., early this year is essentially over, a Missoula police detective said.
"The case is officially inactive from our perspective," said Steve Ross, captain of detectives for the Missoula City Police.
In the months after the fire, which police initially characterized as attempted murder, focus shifted toward the couple, Carla Grayson and Adrianne Neff. A search warrant application detailed speculation about why one or both of the women might have torched their own home, but the couple were never officially named as suspects.
Both Neff and Grayson have denied setting the fire.
The couple and their child moved to Ann Arbor, Mich., for a year and could not be reached for comment. Their attorney, John Smith, refused to comment.
The fire was set early February 8, just days after Neff, Grayson, and another couple, Carol Snetsinger and Nancy Siegel, joined a lawsuit against the state. In the suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Montana, the women say gay and lesbian couples should have the same benefits as straight couples who work for the Montana University System. Grayson and Snetsinger are both university employees.
A district court judge has dismissed the suit filed by the couples, but an appeal to the Montana supreme court is expected.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 25 min 20 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 42 min 25 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 50 min 57 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 1 hour 16 min ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 1 hour 19 min ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 52 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 55 min ago