Investigation into arson against lesbian couple virtually over
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 10 2002 1:00 AM ET
An investigation into an arson fire that destroyed the residence of a lesbian couple in Missoula, Mont., early this year is essentially over, a Missoula police detective said.
"The case is officially inactive from our perspective," said Steve Ross, captain of detectives for the Missoula City Police.
In the months after the fire, which police initially characterized as attempted murder, focus shifted toward the couple, Carla Grayson and Adrianne Neff. A search warrant application detailed speculation about why one or both of the women might have torched their own home, but the couple were never officially named as suspects.
Both Neff and Grayson have denied setting the fire.
The couple and their child moved to Ann Arbor, Mich., for a year and could not be reached for comment. Their attorney, John Smith, refused to comment.
The fire was set early February 8, just days after Neff, Grayson, and another couple, Carol Snetsinger and Nancy Siegel, joined a lawsuit against the state. In the suit, filed by the American Civil Liberties Union of Montana, the women say gay and lesbian couples should have the same benefits as straight couples who work for the Montana University System. Grayson and Snetsinger are both university employees.
A district court judge has dismissed the suit filed by the couples, but an appeal to the Montana supreme court is expected.
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 4 min 26 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 9 min 36 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 27 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 6 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 13 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 2 hours 36 min ago
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 2 hours 45 min ago