Missouri university rules against gay protections
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 17 2002 1:00 AM ET
The board of governors of Southwest Missouri State University has adopted a revised nondiscrimination policy that does not include protection for sexual orientation. The board voted unanimously Friday to adopt the revised policy without the phrase sexual orientation, despite advice from an Equal Opportunity Advisory Committee, which studied the issue for months and recommended that the university include protection for sexual orientation in its policy. Southwest Missouri State president John Keiser disagreed with the advisory committee and offered his own version, with sexual orientation eliminated from the policy, saying the wording in the current policy covered everyone who worked at or went to school at Southwest Missouri State.
Supporters of a move to include sexual orientation in the policy said their fight isn't over. "We have the momentum on this issue. They are defending a tired, old position," said Prof. Ralph Smith, one of five speakers who tried to persuade the board to add the words sexual orientation in order to protect gays and lesbians from discrimination.
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- WATCH: Ben Affleck and SNL Crew Go to Ex-Gay Camp
- WATCH: The Cure for Gay Wedding-Related Depression
- The South's Longer Wait for Equality
- Florida Teen Facing Sex Offender Charge For Consensual Same-Sex Relationship
- Nintendo Will 'Fix' Bug That Allows Same-Sex Couples to Marry in Video Game
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Politics Obama to Grads: 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend' May 20 2013 7:56 PM
- Crime Thousands Rally Against Anti-LGBT Violence in NYC May 20 2013 7:35 PM
- Women WATCH: Ellen Responds To Abercrombie's Sizeist CEO - 'Fitch, Please!' May 20 2013 7:26 PM
- Marriage Equality WATCH: Matthew Morrison Can't Even Make Sense of Marriage Inequality May 20 2013 7:00 PM
- Law Texas Man Resurrects Suit Alleging AG Fired Him for Being Gay May 20 2013 6:48 PM
- Women Obama to Award Presidential Medal of Freedom to Sally Ride May 20 2013 6:01 PM
- Pride Turn It Way Up with Pride Beats 2013 May 20 2013 6:00 PM