Teens plead innocent to transgender murder
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 17 2002 1:00 AM ET
Three young men pleaded innocent Friday to beating and strangling to death a 17-year-old in Northern California after learning that the transgendered teen was a biological male. Eddie "Gwen" Araujo Jr.'s body was discovered in October in a shallow grave 150 miles east of San Francisco in the Sierra foothills, according to police. Police say she was murdered October 3 during a party at 23-year-old Jose Merel's house in suburban San Francisco. Merel and 22-year-olds Michael Magidson and Jason Cazares entered their pleas during a brief court appearance. The judge set a preliminary hearing date of January 29. Jaron Nabors, a fourth suspect who police say led them to Araujo's body, pleaded innocent last month.
- WATCH: Ireland's New Marriage Equality Ad Will Give You Goosebumps
- World Goes Bonkers On Antigay Michigan Repairman
- RuPaul's Drag Race's Max: I Made a 'Grave Mistake'
- #TBT: They Died in the Closet
- WATCH: Gay Dream Team of Michael Urie, Randy Harrison in Such Good People
- Op-ed: Leelah Alcorn 'Ciswashed' by the Media, White House