Man arrested in gay chat-line assaults
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 1:00 AM ET
A Canadian man who allegedly assaulted, robbed, and threatened men he met through a gay telephone dating service is facing 35 charges after being picked up by police in Ottawa in connection with a robbery that occurred 1-1/2 years ago, reports the Ottawa Citizen.
Investigators believe as many as seven men fell prey to Lawrence Pigeon, 37, who would meet his victims through a phone dating service, then demand money after having sex with them. Pigeon is charged with 11 counts of robbery, nine counts of being unlawfully in a dwelling, three counts of forcible entry, two counts of forcible confinement, one count of assault causing bodily harm, one count of mischief, one count of extortion, one count of possession of a dangerous weapon, and one count of breaking and entering. All of the charges relate to incidents that took place between May 2001 and last August.
Police say a man they believe is Pigeon would register with the telephone dating service using the name John or Paul, passing himself off as a bisexual interested in meeting new partners. He and the victim would eventually meet in the victim's home for sex, after which the man would demand money. In some cases, the victims were beaten--and the man often returned to the homes of the victims on several occasions afterwards, each time demanding money.
Pigeon will remain in custody pending a first court appearance, scheduled for January 2.
- Multiple Attacks on Gay Men in NYC, Hours After Rally
- Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout
- A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World
- French Marriage Equality Opponent Commits Suicide at Notre Dame
- WATCH: President Obama Tells Morehouse Grads 'Be the Best Husband to Your Boyfriend'
- Father of Teen Facing Felony for Lesbian Relationship Says She's Been Targeted Before
Sign Up For Email Updates
- Commentary Op-ed: My Life as a Gay Boy Scout 1 hour 10 min ago
- Current Issue A Reason for Pride: Gay Parents Are Changing the World 1 hour 44 min ago
- Current Issue A Home of Our Own 1 hour 44 min ago
- Commentary Op-ed: Adopting the T in LGBT 1 hour 44 min ago
- World News Marriage Equality Appeal Headed to Brazil's Supreme Court 1:06 AM
- Mental Wellness Psychiatrists' Group Names First Out Gay Leader May 21 2013 10:04 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Which Gay Celeb Has a Wizard of Oz Aquarium? May 21 2013 10:00 PM