Man arrested in gay chat-line assaults
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 27 2002 12:00 AM ET
A Canadian man who allegedly assaulted, robbed, and threatened men he met through a gay telephone dating service is facing 35 charges after being picked up by police in Ottawa in connection with a robbery that occurred 1-1/2 years ago, reports the Ottawa Citizen.
Investigators believe as many as seven men fell prey to Lawrence Pigeon, 37, who would meet his victims through a phone dating service, then demand money after having sex with them. Pigeon is charged with 11 counts of robbery, nine counts of being unlawfully in a dwelling, three counts of forcible entry, two counts of forcible confinement, one count of assault causing bodily harm, one count of mischief, one count of extortion, one count of possession of a dangerous weapon, and one count of breaking and entering. All of the charges relate to incidents that took place between May 2001 and last August.
Police say a man they believe is Pigeon would register with the telephone dating service using the name John or Paul, passing himself off as a bisexual interested in meeting new partners. He and the victim would eventually meet in the victim's home for sex, after which the man would demand money. In some cases, the victims were beaten--and the man often returned to the homes of the victims on several occasions afterwards, each time demanding money.
Pigeon will remain in custody pending a first court appearance, scheduled for January 2.
- WATCH: Mom Affirms Her Love in Son's Coming-Out Video
- Wives Want To Know If Their Husbands Are Gay
- Op-ed: Two and a Half Men Introduces Trans Character, Manages to Stay Respectful
- Op-ed: We're Here, We're Queer, We're Not Part of a Pair
- One Day in Big Gaylarious America
- WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Says Pat Robertson
- Women 17 Reasons to Swoon Over Androgynous Model Harmony Boucher 2 hours 18 min ago
- Travel WestJet Showers Fliers With Holiday Gifts 2 hours 49 min ago
- Television 5 Reasons to Plug In to Masters of Sex 7:22 PM
- Travel VIDEO: Travel Helps People Live Longer, Says Study 6:35 PM
- Music WATCH: Melissa Etheridge Debuts Song to Help Gay Russians 6:08 PM
- Religion WATCH: Lesbian Friend Might Convert Kids, Warns Robertson 6:03 PM
- Women 3 Gay Lady-Related Golden Globe Nominations that Make Us Happy! 4:20 PM