Swedish gay rights group plans gay adoption bureau
BY Advocate.com Editors
December 28 2002 12:00 AM ET
A Swedish gay rights group said Friday that it plans to start an adoption agency for gay people because existing agencies in Sweden won't consider Swedish gay couples for international adoptions.
The parliament in the Scandinavian nation of 8.9 million voted last summer to allow gay adoptions starting February 1, but adoption agencies have said they won't consider gay couples for international adoptions because they fear it would disrupt their relations with organizations in the countries of origin.
"We will work for the establishment of an adoption bureau for homosexuals," said Soeren Andersson, chairman of gay rights group RFSL. He said adoption organizations exaggerate other countries' objections to gay adoptions.
Inga Naeslund, a spokeswoman for Sweden's largest adoption agency, Adoptionscentrum, said a gay adoption agency should focus on children from countries in which gay adoptions are legal, like the United States and South Africa. "In some countries it can be a sensitive issue," Naeslund said. "I think they should be careful in the way they approach foreign countries."
Iceland and the Netherlands also allow gay couples to adopt children. The United Kingdom recently lifted a ban on adoptions by gay couples, but all of the law's provisions are not expected to take effect until 2004. Denmark allows gays to adopt the children of their partners.
Naeslund said Swedish parents adopt about 1,000 children every year, mostly from South Korea, Colombia, China, and Russia. None of those countries allows gay adoptions, she said.
- Holiday Guide: Shop Here, Not There
- Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black
- WATCH: Jared Leto on Avoiding Trans Character 'Cliché' for 'Dallas Buyers Club'
- Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too
- New Celeb Couple: Dustin Lance Black and Tom Daley
- Op-ed: Straight Teen Girls Can Change the World
- Entertainment News James Franco Teases 50 Shades of Batman & Robin 24 min 23 sec ago
- Entertainment News Tom Daley: 'It Really Was Love at First Sight' 30 min 23 sec ago
- Sports WATCH: The Best From 6 Olympic Gay Divers 7:04 AM
- Commentary Op-ed: Stop Judging Tom Daley and Dustin Lance Black 6:00 AM
- Bisexual Op-ed: Don't Worry, Tom Daley's Getting Biphobic Tweets, Too 5:00 AM
- Women WATCH: Lesbian-Themed Web Series 'Kelsey' - Kelsey Gets All Kinds of Action December 04 2013 8:27 PM
- Travel Out Traveler Awards: Best Cruise Line? December 04 2013 7:42 PM