Lesbians have D.C.'s New Year's baby
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 03 2003 1:00 AM ET
The first baby born in the Washington, D.C., metro area in 2003 initially posed what seemed to be a problem. "Can we get a picture of the baby with its mother?" a photographer asked.
"Sure--which mother would you like?" responded Joanna Bare, 35, one of the baby's two mothers. Photos of the baby were taken with both Bare and her partner, Helen Rubin, 33, the biological mother, The Washington Post reports. And now the couple and their new baby have become an unofficial poster family for gay and lesbian parents seeking equality in parental rights.
Bare and Rubin moved from Vienna, Va., to Bethesda, Md., just last week because they say it would have been impossible for them to have shared full parental rights in Virginia. "Virginia does not permit second-parent adoption," said the couple's attorney, Mina Ketchi. "Quite frankly, in these matters of law, Virginia is being dragged kicking and screaming into the 20th century--and we're in the 21st century. It is not a very gay-friendly state." Ketchi says she recommends that gay parents in Virginia move their families to Maryland, the District of Columbia, or Pennsylvania.
Bare and Rubin have been together for 12 years. "We eventually decided it was time to have kids, like anyone else would," Rubin said. "Hopefully, we'll be like any family."
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Op-ed: What People Don't Get About Dismay Over Jared Leto
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Trans Woman Sues CrossFit After Being Told to Compete in Men's Division
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 31 min 6 sec ago
- Arts & Entertainment 10 Things We Learned from Neil Patrick Harris 36 min 16 sec ago
- Women WATCH: Houston's Lesbian Mayor Reveals 'The Gay Agenda' 1 hour 54 min ago
- Marriage Equality Oregon Republicans Support Marriage Equality 2 hours 33 min ago
- Uganda Ugandans Challenge 'Jail the Gays' Law in Court 2 hours 39 min ago
- Travel Melissa Etheridge Performing Russian Anthem at Toronto WorldPride 1:48 PM
- Television Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay 1:39 PM