BY Advocate.com Editors
January 04 2003 1:00 AM ET
Vegas critics vote for Clooney
The Las Vegas Film Critics Society has entered its votes as awards season gets into full swing. As reported by Daily Variety, the Vegas voters bestowed Best Picture honors upon Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, the directing debut of George Clooney, one of The Advocate's "Coolest Straight People of 2002," while The Lord of the Rings franchise, in a repeat performance this awards season, again racked up the most kudos, with four. Daniel Day-Lewis took the actor nod for Gangs of New York, Nicole Kidman received the actress prize (The Hours), John C. Reilly earned supporting actor (Gangs of New York, The Hours, Chicago), and Susan Sarandon walked away with supporting actress (Igby Goes Down, Moonlight Mile).
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers won for director Peter Jackson, visual effects (Jim Rygiel, Joe Letteri, Randall William Cook, and Alex Funke), costume design (Ngila Dickson and Richard Taylor), and film editing (D. Michael Horton and Jabez Olssen). Also honored were Conrad L. Hall for cinematography (Road to Perdition); The Rookie, starring recent Advocate cover boy Dennis Quaid, for family film; Lilo & Stitch (animated film); Mexico's Y Tu Mama Tambien (foreign film); and Kieran Culkin, who grabbed the Youth in Film Award (Igby Goes Down).
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM
- Transgender Trans Contestant is Miss Congeniality at Calif. Beauty Pageant March 15 2014 11:57 AM
- Theater Injury Sidelines Christopher Sieber in Matilda March 15 2014 5:00 AM
- Artist Spotlight Artist Spotlight: Hernan Marina March 15 2014 4:00 AM