Indiana attorney general tries to get gay marriage lawsuit dismissed
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 07 2003 1:00 AM ET
The Indiana attorney general's office on Friday asked a judge to dismiss a lawsuit filed by three same-sex couples who want Indiana to recognize their long-term relationships as marriage.
A male couple and two female couples asked Marion superior court judge S.K. Reid to declare that Indiana's law banning same-sex marriage violates the state constitution's guarantee of equal privileges for all its citizens. The lawsuit was filed by the Indiana Civil Liberties Union on behalf of the couples. One of the female couples is from Hendricks County; the other two couples are from Indianapolis.
In a brief filed late Friday afternoon, the attorney general's office argued that Indiana's prohibition against same-sex marriage is constitutional because the state has a compelling interest in promoting traditional marriages and procreation. State and federal courts have long recognized the importance of the family to an open society, wrote special counsel Thomas M. Fisher. He also said that striking down the same-sex prohibition could undermine the legislature's ability to prohibit other forms of marriage, such as polygamy.
In the event that the court does not strike down the same-sex marriage prohibition, the couples have asked the court to require the state to recognize the couples' civil unions, which they had performed in Vermont in 2000.
Fisher said that no other state has recognized Vermont's civil unions.
- WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families
- Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis
- The Striking Muxe: Mexico's Third Gender
- Fox's Newest Cop Comedy Is Quietly Breaking Ground
- Gay Tenn. 12-Year-Old Still Fighting the ‘Don’t Say Gay’ Bill He Helped Kill
- Game of Thrones Actor Kristian Nairn Reveals He's Gay
- Women WATCH: Bisexuality v. Pansexuality - We Discuss the Difference 9 min 45 sec ago
- Television WATCH: Honey Maid's Newest Commercial Features Gay Families 26 min 20 sec ago
- Women 5 Things That Pissed Us Off This Week: Homegrown Homophobia 44 min 20 sec ago
- Religion Far-Right Minister: Gays Responsible for Ukraine Crisis 46 min 27 sec ago
- Travel Copenhagen: The Gayest Place in 2014 1 hour 16 min ago
- Women WATCH: Australia's Sexy New Lesbian Web Series Starting From ... Now! 2 hours 9 min ago
- Television 15 Most Ridiculous Real Housewives Taglines Ever 2 hours 51 min ago