First lesbian D.A. sworn in
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 08 2003 1:00 AM ET
Republican Bonnie Dumanis was sworn in as the nation's first lesbian district attorney Monday, reports the San Diego Union-Tribune. Dumanis, 51, was once head of San Diego's Metropolitan Homicide Task Force and was appointed a juvenile court referee in 1990. From there she was elected to the municipal court bench and in 1998 was elected a superior court judge.
Dumanis says that in her line of work everyone tries to put her into a category. "People are always trying to pigeonhole me," she said. "They see me as conservative on some issues, very liberal on others. The fact that I'm gay and a Republican boggles some people's minds. But I just like to look at things from every angle."
But Dumanis says her caring nature won't make her any less effective as a district attorney. "I don't see that being caring is inconsistent with being tough on crime," she said. "Sometimes being caring means being tough on people. You have to hold them accountable for their behavior."
Dumanis resides in San Diego's Hillcrest district with her partner, Denise Nelesen.
- Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death?
- Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia
- Op-ed: The Lasting Impact of Out TV Teens on LGBT Youth
- Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade
- Bevy Smith, Bravo's Queen of Fashion
- Op-ed: Those Real Housewives Are Not Examples of How to Be Rich
- Military Boston Mayor Snubs Homophobic St. Patrick's Day Parade 5:34 PM
- Religion Fred Phelps Ex-Communicated and Near Death? 1:41 PM
- Arts & Entertainment Madonna... in Game of Thrones? 1:12 PM
- Travel WATCH: Planes Battle Birmingham, England's Tail Winds March 15 2014 9:11 PM
- Religion Billy Graham's Son: Obama Could Learn from Putin's Homophobia March 15 2014 7:41 PM
- Television WATCH: Out Rapper Le1f on Letterman March 15 2014 2:59 PM
- People WATCH: The Strong Bond Between Straight Women and Gay Men March 15 2014 2:52 PM