HRC reaffirms opposition to Pickering
BY Advocate.com Editors
January 09 2003 12:00 AM ET
Washington, D.C.-based gay rights group the Human Rights Campaign on Wednesday reaffirmed its opposition to Mississippi judge Charles Pickering's nomination to the fifth circuit court of appeals.
In a Wednesday press release, HRC said Pickering's career has been punctuated by racial divisiveness and that he also has publicly shared antigay sentiments.
"Past behavior is usually the greatest indicator of future behavior, and Pickering's past has included highly disturbing racial overtones that make him an unusually unacceptable nominee," said HRC political director Winnie Stachelberg. "We proudly join our friends in the civil rights community in opposing this nomination, and we adamantly urge Bush to reconsider this poor choice for a crucial judicial circuit."
In a speech before the 1984 Mississippi Southern Baptist Convention, Pickering lumped homosexuality with other social problems, according to The Clarion Ledger, a Jackson, Miss., newspaper. "We as Southern Baptists should lead the way in strengthening
traditional moral values," he said, adding that society has been degraded by such things as pornography, homosexuality, and divorce, according to the paper.
- Buck Angel Shuts Down Transgender Surgery Fundraising Site
- WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online
- Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks
- 10 Snarky Quotes That Will Make You Miss Michael Kors on Project Runway
- PHOTOS: India's Supreme Court Reinstates Sodomy Ban
- The Many Faces of LGBT Family
- Women WATCH: Kim Stolz's Ridiculously Beautiful Wedding Video 1 min 42 sec ago
- Politics N.J. Legislature Could Enshrine Marriage Equality into State Law 18 min 47 sec ago
- Transgender Coalition Still Short in Bid to Repeal Calif. Trans Student Law 27 min 19 sec ago
- Religion Blogger: Salvation Army No Friend to LGBT Folks 52 min 23 sec ago
- Film WATCH: Trailer for the Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending Premieres Online 55 min 23 sec ago
- Travel PHOTOS: Happy Gay People on Beaches 1 hour 28 min ago
- Media Michelle Malkin Sells Twitter Aggregator to Christian Media Company 1 hour 32 min ago